What's new

Foot Valve vs. In line check valve

Rudy

Reaction score
We have a 2 step presoak system in our automatic. Step one is acidic. The hydrominder, and mixing tank is mounted high on the wall above all of the pumps etc.

We have a 55 gallon barrel on the equipment room floor. We've used (successfully) blue foot valves for years....which keeps the soap flowing uphill, and preventing backflow.

Recently, we've been unable to keep any kind of clamp....stainless steel or otherwise...inside the presoak barrel. If the foot valve isn't clamped....it leaks. After about 2 weeks...the soap destroys the clamp....and the soap leaks.

I've even tried using large zip ties....but again....the soap either weakens or destroys it (I've even tried stainless steel wire...). I'm baffled.

Anyway....

What would result in removing the foot valve....and in it's place....putting an INLINE check valve outside of the barrell? By having a check valve OUTSIDE of the caustic soap....clamps would not disintegrate.

Remember in Physics class...how you took a drinking straw, and inserted it into a liquid? You were able to contain the liquid in the straw by placing your finger on the end of the straw.

Would placing an inline check valve allow me to eliminate the foot valve?

MEP001

Reaction score
It should, but you might want to put a strainer or screen on the end of the hose in the barrel.

You'll need a check valve with almost no resistance to flow - you should be able to blow through it easily.