What's new

Foam Brush Hose

washregal

Reaction score
Does anyone have a good suggestion for foam brush hose material. I have been using all HP hose metal braided for all my washes keeping consistent - purchased from Kleen Rite. But have been going through them like crazy. Mostly breaking at the ends. I have tried the hoses guards as well but they have slipped off in the past and have not helped much. Any suggestions here would be great.

MEP001

Reaction score

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
I use GoodYear black 3/8 air hose. I even put it outside in my truck bay, open to the sun and eliments. It's been installed over 2 years now and still looks like new. No issues. I have it in my inside bays to, no issues to speak of. A Ferrule crimper is cheap and easy to use. Or you could use the no clamp barb fittings. I'm just a little leary of those. I buy the hose off amazon.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've made foam brush hoses with the same air hose and regular barbs - I used electrical tape instead of clamps at the handle end and hid it under the bend restrictor and never had them come off.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004QZJBN2/ref=cm_sw_r_other_apa_yAgExbE21RYZH

$59.90 for 100 ft of 250 psi hose free shipping. Not bad. Will make about 6 assemblies.
The way I see it, as I figured before is that hose cost .60 / Foot plus the cost of 2 fittings for a 20 foot hose brings the total cost for a 16 foot hose to?

From KR the 16 foot FB hose is $13.29

from KR a premade 16' 3/8" HP hose with fittings runs about $1.35 a foot. (Under $21.00)

So if you DIY and pay $9.60 for 16 foot of hose plus $6.00 fittings you have an $16.00 hose and saved nothing over the KR FB Hose or for HP maybe $5.00. plus the HP Hose it much sturdier.

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
No one here uses clear vinyl or Exelon tubing for their FB setups?

The reason I ask is I bought my wash, and that was what was there and I replaced it with the same thinking it was more common. Seems like many here prefer the heavier braided hoses?

I will admit that the vinyl/exelon hose gets very stiff in the winter and makes more noise when it hits/rubs against the vehicle. I like being able to see the chemical in the hose though.

MEP001

Reaction score
The closest thing to that I've used is this:

It does get very stiff in the cold like you said, and it always ends up breaking off at the fitting. I've only used it when there was a problem with people cutting the hose and stealing the brush, the wire is too heavy to get through with a knife.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
All cw's are the same, they're all different! I love that saying! The double LP booms in my truck bay are about 4' higher than the inside bays. So it didn't make much sense to stock different length LP hoses. Plus the barb fittings are reusable. For me, the DYI'er, having the bulk hose makes sense. But Earl, your right, there is not a significant difference in price comparing to KR's premaid assemblies.

Randy

Reaction score
We mount our Foam brush handles horizontal on the wall with a 3/8” street “L” on the end of the swivel so the hose is pointing down. That way there is very little stress on the hose connection on the foam brush handle. We very seldom have a broken or leaking hose at the foam brush handle, they last for years that way. It costs us about $7.00 to make up a foam brush hose, reusing the fittings and bend restrictor.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Same here Randy except I use a 45 deg fitting instead of 90. Crimp ferrules are cheap and as you said, fittings and bend restrictors are reusable. Not much to it really. $100 worth of hose will last a really long time.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I am trying out some highly flexible 1/4" hp hose from Home Depot.... Around $30.

http://thd.co/1uTQlNg

I just used a 1/4" reusable fittings on the other side. I just installed it in one bay to see how it goes? :)

Otherwise I use what Mep1 is talking about.... push lock hose and fittings. With the cheap KR brass swivels.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Using steel braid hose on the foam brush is not to my liking, really whips the car when getting aggressive. Also freezes faster.

I've seen all of the types used.. My preference is still the coiled hose.. I know it can have its issues whipping when getting aggressive but the line management outweighs any downsides for me.

Since getting the best coil hose ever... I've been very happy and the hose holds up very well no kinking, no freeze problems, the hose guards are plastic and molded to the fitting. In great shape after a year, they look new still.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-2353-38-coil-tubing-foamy-hose-blue.aspx

Steel braid helps the foam brush freeze faster as does an aluminum head foam brush. Ditch both for a easy winter.

TurboJet

Reaction score
Used the steel HP single braid 3/8" hose for past 15 years. Always did not like it very much: Slapping against the car, weight of the hose, and my main concern was when the outer part of the hose started cracking the steel wire could become exposed and potentially stab a customer.

Been experimenting with 3/8" Goodyear InstaGrip for the past 3 years. I am now going to this hose in all my bays. My main concern was with hot weep water in winter and hose kinking. Handles the hot water well, but you really need a hose protector and that has been the tuffest part - keeping the hose protector in place. I am running 45 degree pipe street elbow between swivel and hose at top of foam brush handle.

Other benefits: Some of the same lines have been going for 3 years. Does not dry and crack like other HP hose I've been using lately. Also, another added bonus, you use pushlok connectors for easy install and repair.

https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-2626-goodyear-blue-insta-grip-hose-38.aspx

Description from KR website:

PUSH-ON HOSE (GOODYEAR “INSTA-GRIP”)

Application: For use with push-on fittings at working pressures of 300 psi. For low pressure hydraulic and pneumatic systems such as shop air systems, general industrial, maintenance and automotive applications.

Construction:
TUBE- Seamless synthetic rubber. RMA Class A (High oil resistance)
REINFORCEMENT- Braided (1) high strength synthetic yarn
COVER- Black, green, blue, red, gray and brown. Oil, weather and abrasion resistant synthetic rubber.
Temperature: -40F to +200F

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Been experimenting with 3/8" Goodyear InstaGrip for the past 3 years.
That's the hose that I use, but I use barbs and hose clamps for fittings. I do get the occasional complaint that the hose clamps are hard on the peoples hands.

I didn't know it could be used with push on fittings. Is there a problem with the hose coming out of the fitting with people handling it while washing? Do you use regular old poly tube push on fittings?

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I didn't know it could be used with push on fittings. Is there a problem with the hose coming out of the fitting with people handling it while washing? Do you use regular old poly tube push on fittings?
I believe they are special.... the ones KR sells have a yellow ring on them (at least I believe that is where I got these from?).

TurboJet

Reaction score
As shown by CWguy, those are the ones I use. Push lock Barb. Brass, 3/8" on both the male fitting and barb. About $2 from KR. It will not slip off from handling. The only issue is that if you do not use a hose protector, over time the hose will start to split open right at the end of the barb. With a 45 degree street elbow and hose protector in place I've gone several months to a year with no issues.

MEP001

Reaction score
...but you really need a hose protector and that has been the tuffest part - keeping the hose protector in place. I am running 45 degree pipe street elbow between swivel and hose at top of foam brush handle.
I've gotten different bend restrictors from different places, some have a hollow spot inside that will "pop" over a crimp fitting and some are just straight inside. With the hollow ones I put a few rounds of electrical tape over the hose at the barb and the restrictor pops over that and stays. For the straight ones I cut a piece of the thin gray double-sided tape and put one turn around the hose at the barb, wet it with some rubbing alcohol and slide it over and it stays well enough that I have to cut the restrictor to get it off. I've never needed a 45° fitting, but the brush hangs vertical. The hoses last 3-4 years, the bend restrictor ends up splitting after a couple years and I can cut 1" off, put a new restrictor on and reattach it to the barb for another couple years of use.

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Here's my problem with the KR low pressure foam brush assemblies, our foam brushes sit vertical not horizontal so I will have too replace the bend restrictor to a longer piece which is always fun to do.