What's new

Foam Brush Foamer Cartridge Replacement

bigleo48

Reaction score
All,

Some of my bays now are having some foam brush foaming problems. I just can't seem to get the right air/soap mixture...either too dry or too soupy. Adjacent bays are ok and get the same mix from the same tanks, same pump and air/soap settings . So I think I've got it down to the foamer cartridges in the attic. They are 7 years old and I think they are likely plugged up.

Have any of you experienced this. They are glued together pieces of PVC so I can't open them up and clean them like the foamers in my IBA.

So can they be cleaned out with some kind of strong chemical or should I just replace them?

Thanks in advance...Big

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Replacement is the only way, if they have been up there for 7 years then they might not even be there anymore.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
2nd Best advice: If you can disconnect them take them off and blow them out with high pressure air. If they are no good you may want to make your own but make them with threaded fittings so you can get them apart. (I do this for the tunnel). They can accumulate scum over time.

Best advice: Get rid of them. If they are above the bay, the air and soap traveling together thru a 20 foot hose and handle will generate foam .

Tpoppa

Reaction score
I don't use foamers. 1/4" air line and a 1/4" product line joined at a T. It produces thick rich foam and it's a very simple system with few failure points.

coincarwash.ca

Washin cars in the GTA
Reaction score
I make my own using black plumbing pipe about 10" long filled with three plastic dish scribing pads and capped on either end with a 3/8 end cap..... Work perfect.

bigleo48

Reaction score
I make my own using black plumbing pipe about 10" long filled with three plastic dish scribing pads and capped on either end with a 3/8 end cap..... Work perfect.
Thanks guys....

Coinwash...I can get them for $20 a piece, or go around and get the PVC, cut it, fill with scrubbies, glue it together, put on some fittings. Sounds even.

The problems with them is that the air can bunch the scrubbies to the end and partially plugging it. Then turn up the air to make it better, only to make it worst down the road. I'll give it a try without one and see the results...if not I'll replace them. I removed the one in my IBA for the presoaks a while back and happy its gone.

Big

MEP001

Reaction score
bigleo48 said:
The problems with them is that the air can bunch the scrubbies to the end and partially plugging it.
I used to make 50 at a time. Since I had access to a chop saw, cutting the pieces went fast. The rest was pretty fast because instead of assembling fittings on one end with a "T" I drilled and tapped two holes in one end cap after gluing it on and screwed the fittings straight into the PVC. To prevent the scrubbies from bunching up at the outlet I put a short piece of hose in before I glued the other end cap on.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I'll give it a try without one and see the results...if not I'll replace them. I removed the one in my IBA for the presoaks a while back and happy its gone.

Big
Please report back with results and specifics of set up. AFAIAC less is more, but there are many variables i.e. Diameter of supply hoses 3/8 0r 1/4 . Diameter of FB Hose, type of pump, flo jet or other, needle valves or not.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
I don't use foamers. 1/4" air line and a 1/4" product line joined at a T. It produces thick rich foam and it's a very simple system with few failure points.
Yeah, I have never heard of foamers! I have 5 SS bays and mine are joined with air lines at T's.

Reds

Reaction score
I used stainless steel dish/pot scrubbers in my foamers. Have not had an issue with them since - that was 5 years ago.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I used to make my own out of PVC and plastic dish scrubbie pads.
For the last 10 years, I dont use them at all, the foam is good.

However, I do find that I get better foam if I shove a piece of plastic dish scrubbie in the brush end of the FB handle. I do this when I change the brush head. Doesnt take a lot, one scrubbie gives me enough for 3 or 4 or 5 bays.

Makes sense to me - basically, it puts the "foamer" right where its needed, 1" away from the brush head.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
This seems to make better foam…plumb the air to the branch port of the tee

Liquid in > T > Foam Out
....Air in > ^

Along with half of a pot scrubber in the foam brush handle.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Etowah

CCAR

Reaction score
I think this would be great if my foam brushes would work with out the foamer. I generally have to clean the foamers once a year because of scum that builds up in them. After cleaning them product delivery is quite a bit faster. I saw somewhere that some people use a small strainer to create the foam. I'm sure running it through the strainer screen would create foam. Has anyone used this idea? Obivously no foamer of any kind would be a lot less trouble period. I like the idea of putting a small piece in the handle, easy to get to, but is it really necessary to have it? Time to try some of these ideas. CCAR

Tpoppa

Reaction score
Try the 'T' made out of 1/4" tubing. I keep my pressure at about 27/21 for the summer soap and 31/21 for methonal. It has worked really well for my wash.

Indiana Wash

Reaction score
Yeah, what he said about the T. I have been in the car wash business for 4 years and had no idea that there was such a thing as a foamer. All of my foaming brushes are really foamy from just a T and air.

bigleo48

Reaction score
Ok,

So I'm gonna do some testing this week. I'm gonna try it without a foamer, with a new foamer and with a scrubby in the brush head.

I like the idea of a the scrubby in the brush head...easy to get at, foaming occurs closer to the output and every time I replace the foam head, it gets cleaned out.

I'll keep you posted.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
I T'd into a 1/2" poly hose in the equipment room and by the time it was at the brush it was real foamy.