What's new

flojet vs procon pumps

mjc3333

Reaction score
I have used only two different type of low pressures pumps for the past 25 years. Flojets and Goulds shallow well pumps. Currently the Goulds pumps are for foam brush only, and the flojets pre soak tire cleaner tri foam. I would like to start using the procon pumps for tire cleaner and pre soak as the flojets don't seem to hold up very well to the chemicals. Currently using Viton in the flojets. The old Gould pumps are fine for the foam brush as no harsh chemicals, but I would like all the pumps to be the same. How do setup a procon pump system? Do I need a bladder holding tank as with the Gould pump? Is the procon driven by air or electric? If I did switch to procon, would I get more than 6 10 months before a rebuild as I do now with the flojets? Mike

MEP001

Reaction score
You can use a bladder tank, but IMO you'll have fewer problems with a controller that turns the pump on when called for. The cheapest way to do it is with a bank of relays - I think I paid about $6 for relay and base, so $36 for six bays vs about $100 for an MX-8 controller. Add an on-off delay relay for another $20 or so and you'll only have one part to worry about failing that you can fix by plugging in a new relay.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
? If I did switch to procon, would I get more than 6 10 months before a rebuild as I do now with the flojets? Mike
I'd like to hear from other operators vis a vis replacing / rebuilding Flo Jets after 6 months. I do not experience this and can't help but wonder if you have an issue with moisture in the airline.

Randy

Reaction score
You definitely have a problem if your only getting only 6 – 10 months on a Flo-jet pump before it has to be worked on. We installed our first Procon pump around 1994. We use a 1/3 hp. Carbonator pump motor to run the pump, controlled by an IDX MX-8 multiplexer. Since 1994 I think we’ve replaced two pump heads. The Procon pump can put out around 175 psi of pressure, we run them at around 150 psi. We’ve never had any problems with the IDX MX-8 multiplexer.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'd like to hear from other operators vis a vis replacing / rebuilding Flo Jets after 6 months. I do not experience this and can't help but wonder if you have an issue with moisture in the airline.
They generally last more than five years for me, and that's running them dead-headed to the solenoids.

bighead

Reaction score
They generally last more than five years for me, and that's running them dead-headed to the solenoids.
Dead headed, yes, and with me I make sure the pump is below the supply tank so it is gravity feeding into the inlet side of the pump. I have pumps over 10 years old when this is the case. I'm at the coast too, and have a lot of moisture in the lines (never gets too cold though).

DiamondWash

Reaction score
Are Procon pumps repairable versus buying a whole new body? I hate having to remove all the plumbing to replace a pump versus just being able to rebuild it.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I have "repaired" a couple Flojet pumps before.... I could see only getting 6-10 months out of a repaired pump? I am pretty sure the majority of people just replace a Flojet pump?

Are Procon pumps repairable versus buying a whole new body? I hate having to remove all the plumbing to replace a pump versus just being able to rebuild it.
I do realize everyone complains about how long it takes to switch out a procon pump. But try using flare fittings. Between the flare fittings and the clamp.... It really takes about the same amount of time as swapping a flojet. Yes I said a procon pump was easy to change out. LOL :)

When you use barbs it is more annoying to exchange procon pumps.... it also takes a lot longer. But unless you use harsh chemicals you probably do not remember the last time you swapped out your procon pump?

MEP001

Reaction score
I just tried to get a repair kit for a Procon, and it would have cost more than a new pump. And no, you can't repair it still hooked up because you have to press out the bearing.

cwguy.com

The Eric
Reaction score
I just tried to get a repair kit for a Procon, and it would have cost more than a new pump. And no, you can't repair it still hooked up because you have to press out the bearing.
I honestly never thought about fixing a procon. I usually just replace them. But my automatic does use stainless procons and I believe they would make more since to repair.

Here is the Factory Authorized Remanufacturing Center link: http://www.edcodistributing.com/pcpumps.php
http://www.proconpumps.com/pages/Exchange-Centers-{47}-International-Reps.html

MEP001

Reaction score
Yes, stainless ones are worth repairing. Brass ones IMO are not considering a rebuild is almost as much as a new one, with a fraction of the warranty.

coinman53

Reaction score
Need help picking a procon pump. Does anyone know there model number there are using at there wash. Replacing my flojet pumps.
thank for any help.

Randy

Reaction score
Need help picking a procon pump. Does anyone know there model number there are using at there wash. Replacing my flojet pumps.
thank for any help.
You want to make sure the pump you install is compatible with what your pumping. What are you pumping? How many bays do you have?

coinman53

Reaction score
You want to make sure the pump you install is compatible with what your pumping. What are you pumping? How many bays do you have?

I have two bays. I would like to have one pump for each bay. And have all low pressure selection come to that pump.

coinman53

Reaction score
Thanks MEP001 Yeah I buy from Kleenrite and they do sell a lot of different ones. I think I saw where you or Randy said about using a 1/3 hp motor.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have two bays. I would like to have one pump for each bay. And have all low pressure selection come to that pump.
That's not how to do it. You could, theoretically, but it has no advantage over having a pump for each low pressure selection, and you would have really long changeover times. How is yours set up now?

A 1/3 HP motor is enough to max out the pressure of the pump I linked.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I see now basically what I would need to change over from a goulds shallow well setup to a procon pump setup. I see I will need a 1/3 HP electric motor to run the ProCon pump. Also will need an IDX MX-8 controller. I guess once the pump gets a relay signal from what ever bay is needing that function, it sends the power to the electric motor.

A few more questions. How do you set the pressure on the procon pump? How do you control the output pressure? How does the pump "know" when it reached the correct pressure? Also, is the pressure relatively constant as would be in a flowjet setup? Currently my goulds shallow well pump is pain to setup. You have to choose a setting that is between two set pressures. When I run the foam brush it has a tendency to take forever to turn on its lower setting. If I set it up to higher pressure, the foam brush turns watery.

Also would one procon pump be sufficient for 8 bays of foam brush?

Lastly, since I don't have anything to run the procon pump, what exactly do i need motor, coupling etc. I only see the separate components

Last edited:

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
hey I know this is off topic a little but are SandPiper Pumps any good for chemicals, seem expensive do they last longer than Flowjets

MEP001

Reaction score
A few more questions. How do you set the pressure on the procon pump? How do you control the output pressure? How does the pump "know" when it reached the correct pressure? Also, is the pressure relatively constant as would be in a flowjet setup?
I like to use a balanced pressure regulator since Procon specifically states in their literature not to use the internal relief as a regulator, but Coleman has been doing it that way for years and the pumps seem to last. You remove the acorn nut and turn it with a flathead screwdriver to adjust the pressure. It reaches the set pressure the instant it comes on and it's very constant and reliable.
Also would one procon pump be sufficient for 8 bays of foam brush?
Yes, I've seen a number of 8-bay washes running a single 1504 series on a 1/3 HP motor.
Lastly, since I don't have anything to run the procon pump, what exactly do i need motor, coupling etc. I only see the separate components
All you need is the motor and the small clamp that holds the pump to the motor, as well as the controller. From there you plumb from the tank to the pump and from the pump to the solenoids. It's very simple and basic.