What's new

Film on Porsche wheels

bobcat9095

Reaction score
A loyal customer and friend has brought to my attention that our touch free wash has left a film on her Porsche wheels the last few times she has used our wash. The film is only on the wheels. She gets the top wash with tri foam, drying agent and rain shield. She has been washing this car here for 3 years and never had this issue. The film comes off with work and she says she hasn’t used any product before or after the wash. I have not changed anything aspect of the wash process and have had no other complaints of this problem. Any ideas? I’ve told my distributor and he says he will ask his chemical rep. I can’t figure out how to include a picture.

Last edited:

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
Flash or haze is a condition (usually summertime) that can occur on alloy rims (i.e. aluminum) when the rims are hot and chemical is strong. Remove haze by hand buffing with cleaner/wax. Optimal solution is to cool rims down before applying soap.

Attaching picture is a little clumsy.

First log in. Next, upload the file from source (i.e. your hard drive). Then use attachment function to paste.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
As Robert said this happens with many mag aluminum wheels without a coating. I have seen hazing and even staining using only fresh water on them. If you can take a look at the rims before they enter your wash. I have a feeling they may already be hazed before you wash them. Hazing can occur if the rims are hot and they hit a puddle or are exposed to water. Unfortunately this occurs on the most expensive rims. The cheaper mag rims usually are coated. Those can also be a problem when they develop tiny cracks and moisture gets behind the coating. When that happens the only solution is to have them stripped and coated again. That gets really expensive.

bobcat9095

Reaction score
Thanks guys. I was thinking the heat might have something to do with it. I'm in west Texas and June was really hot. Got up to 106 for a few days. And i got the picture to work!