What's new

F4 tornado hit our wash

soapy

Reaction score
Sorry for the loss. Hopefully you have good insurance with income loss coverage.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Start getting all your financials in order. Save all bills, receipts, credit card invoices, credit card statements, and cancelled check images. Make certain you can separate out all operating expenses from non operating expenses.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Tha ks for advice. Mtg w/ adjuster tomorrow.

Anyone got any advice on mtg w/ him? I have good insurance. Not sure what all damage is there. No power, so not sure about the IBAs etc
.. ??
But this was an F4 & windspeeds 176mph

Last edited:

washnshine

Reaction score
I’m
Powerful image over Idabel, from in front of our "Water U Doing" wash!!!
In very sorry to hear that coach. We are all thinking of you and hoping for the best possible outcome for you. I’m hoping nobody was injured.

eckert16

Reaction score
Some damage will be readily apparent and the adjustor will note immediately. Some damage won't be discovered till after the adjustor visits...keep the discussions open so you can add to the claim as you discover other damages. Remember: claim loss of income till you are back up running (which is another reason to document your income).

Roz

Reaction score
If you think they are low balling you hire an insurance advocate. They will know the insurance system better than you and be your rep for a commission. My brother in law had a fire in his house and the insurance company offered a fraction of the cost to repair the house until he hired an advocate.

traveler17

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss. Only advice is to Remember insurance adjusters are not there for you whether it’s for your home or business. If you’re not happy w what you get I am witness to “adjusters” that don’t represent the insurance companies. A really good friend of mine who’s a contractor started working for this guy who is one of these adjusters. I have never heard of this until hurricane Florence here in Wilmington NC. I have personally seen what these guys do for people who feel like they are getting short changed. Now he can’t work out of state but says there will adjusters licensed in your state. If you have any questions about this don’t hesitate. Good luck!!

traveler17

Reaction score
If you think they are low balling you hire an insurance advocate. They will know the insurance system better than you and be your rep for a commission. My brother in law had a fire in his house and the insurance company offered a fraction of the cost to repair the house until he hired an advocate.
Ha, I just recommended the same. The stories my buddy told me they are getting 50 to 70 percent more than what these insurance crooks are offering. Nice to know these guys are out there

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The car wash business is a unique animal. Independent adjusters can perform a service but make sure you check everything they do BEFORE they send it to the Insurance Company. .

soonermajic

Reaction score
Could the storm have fried everything electrically? Could it have ruined my 2 IBAs?

If they seem to work, could i have some intermittent issues, that have to be traced down multiple times, causing LOTS of down time.....chasing parts, repairing, etc...

Im really worri3d about this.

I don't trust adjusters nor insurance AT ALL!!

MEP001

Reaction score
It's likely the power went out before the tornado did its damage to your place. If you're diligent about keeping electric panels and cabinets closed, you probably won't have any damage. If things were open and got wet, use the learning experience to train yourself and your attendants to keep things closed. Someone who had a breaker box burned up sprayed by a water leak because the door was open told me it cost him $10,000 in mid 90's money to repair. He said it taught him to keep everything closed.

Dan kamsickas

GinSan Technician
Reaction score
As has been said, the adjuster works for the insurance company not you. I've had the distinct displeasure of having to speak to several over the years. They have limited to zero knowledge of mechanical equipment in general and car washes in particular. The good ones will defer to the manufacturers on what is/should be replaced and will do whatever to get you back on your feet. The bad ones will take years off your life.
Document. Document. Document. Tons of pictures and videos with date/time stamp are extremely useful.

Glad you and yours are okay. Buildings can be replaced. People can't

soonermajic

Reaction score
Ok, the adjuster came took pics, measurements, drone footage, etc...
Then said he is a traveling preliminary adjuster
The actual claims adjuster would come later this week , when assigned. Well, guy was assigned today. But, he told me the original adjuster would do it as he is not a field adjuster.
So... wth? Already getting the run around.

This is State Auto, who bought out Midlothian. Anyone else dealt with them?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
The actual claims adjuster would come later this week , when assigned. Well, guy was assigned today. But, he told me the original adjuster would do it as he is not a field adjuster.

Keep track of how long they take. Took my company 2 months to accept coverage and later they complained construction took too long. Keep a daily diary of everything that happens.

traveler17

Reaction score

It’s what they do!! I’m annoyed for you. If it were me I’d have that ball rolling and get a meeting w an independent adjuster.

jubalr

Reaction score
I 2nd the opinion to have an independent adjuster that works for you! We had a micro burst in Phoenix hit our house. Did quite a bit of damage and the ceiling caved in from water damage in 1 bedroom. This lady adjuster with State farm came out, took some measurements and pics then told us 'I'll give you $19,000'. My wife and I looked at each other and told her thanks for coming by, we'll let you know. We hired an independent adjuster, total claim ended up at $112,000! The had to rent us a home near by by our kids school for 3 months while repairs were done.