What's new

Electrostatic Future?

Msaxonii

Reaction score
My regular job is hospital environmental management. Researching what I can to make the most informed decision I can regarding options to get into this industry, I'm finding myself trying to relate what I'm already familiar with.

I'm also the techy one at work and suggesting new equipment and chemicals to try. One of the things I've been drooling over lately has been electrostatic sprayers for disinfectants. Obviously, electrostatic technology has been used for years for painting where it helps to reduce overspray, and it's also been used for farm sprayers because it also encourages the chemical to cover not just the exposed tops of the plants, but also wraps around to cover the underside because of the drops repelling each other, while also being attracted to the surface.

As an outsider looking at the car wash industry and the push towards conservation efforts, it seems it's subject to overspray as par for the course. Do you think that electrostatic technologies could be utilized in the car wash industry?

I'm thinking this would reduce consumption and allow for more target applications of detergent and sprays, allowing them to seek out the car surface and naturally provide better coverage rather then building in areas or being lost to the ground.

Feel free to say I'm completely off my mark.

MEP001

Reaction score
I don't think you'll want to do that. I'm familiar with the electrostatic process from dealing with powdercoating. You need a very fine coating media with an electrostatic charge, and the item to be coated must be grounded. Your customers will be spraying a substantial quantity of liquid with the atomized mist blown away by any wind, and they won't be easily able to ground their car.