What's new

Dumpster Service

copperglobe

Reaction score
Call me un-attentive. Recently I learned how much we were paying for our dumpster service with Waste Management. Been with them for 25 years and little by little they've raised my price to $375 per month for every other week dumping (no, I don't pay the bills- secretary does all that). Unreal. I got bids from a couple of other services and they're quoting me $70 per month for the same thing- saving $305 per month with no contract. Also, I learned this week, that Waste Management automatically renews my contract for three years if I don't cancel it during a "window" toward the end of my three-year contract. Do it in writing, certified mail, mailed to an office in Colorado- is what they require. Also, if I want to cancel my contract early there is a penalty of 6 months' worth of charges. In other words, $2,250!

Lesson Learned: watch your monthly dumpster fees and keep track of your contract.

Anyone have any other alternatives to the normal dumpster services out there? Anyone have their own dump trailer, roll-off dumpsters, etc?

chaz

Reaction score
That can't be right. Is It????

I pay 80$ a month for weekly pickup. I was paying a bit more for a 6yd, but negotiated a few bucks less for an 8yd.

I learned not to request an occasional extra pickup, even though the truck passes my place everyday they charged me 75$ for the extra dump.

Jim L.

Florida panhandle
Reaction score
When I first opened Waste Management tried that 3 year contract with me too and threatened to sue me for breaking it. My lawyer wrote them a letter stating a contract is a 2 way street...they pick up the trash and I would pay the bill. They picked up their dumpster never to be heard from again.

mrfixit

Reaction score
It also gets expensive when you find out another shady business has been dumping 1/4 of a dumptster or more of their bussiness garbage in your dumpster every week.

So watch the contents if its not locked up.

My lord they really stick it to you 350 for two pick-ups.

MEP001

Reaction score
They may offer you a low initial rate but they'll increase it over time until you're paying as much as you were before. BTDT. Look for a contract that guarantees no price increase.

chaz

Reaction score
And then there is the fuel surcharge. Another way to make a bit more $ especially with the current fuel pricing. At least I have a cap on that fee.

Eric H

Reaction score
Also, I learned this week, that Waste Management automatically renews my contract for three years if I don't cancel it during a "window" toward the end of my three-year contract. Do it in writing, certified mail, mailed to an office in Colorado- is what they require.
Ask them to get you a copy of the contract you signed 25 years ago and/or the signed contract that states automatic 3 year renewal on it. If they cannot produce the signed contract then i would think it would be hard for them to enforce the early cancellation clause.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I have never signed a contract for trash pickup.
They drop off the dumpster and then send me the contract and I never sign it.
They call me for it back (signed) and I tell them that I will pay the amount they quoted or they can pick the dumpster up.
They play hardball over the phone for a month or two but never have they picked up the dumpster.

Randy

Reaction score
In the state of Washington there are no garbage contacts. Garbage service is regulated by the state. We have Waste Connections and we pay $205 a month for 1.5 cu. Yd. dumpster that’s dumped twice a week or $25.62 a dump. A lot of times I have to wait for the garbage truck to come, he comes just about the time we are leaving. He never charges us more for any extra and he doesn’t say anything when dumpster has a lot of dirt in it.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Another possible option to investigate in the future. I was given the option to purchase a 2 cu yd dumpster to reduce my monthly rate. Full rate including dumpster rental was right at $100 a month, pickup once a week. I purchased the dumpster for $800. Rate went to $52 a month. Payback less than 2 years. The kicker....Since I now own the dumpster, I share/rent the dumpster to Domino's that boarders the cw for $40 month. They pay me! My total is $12 month....Explore all options!

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
In the state of Washington there are no garbage contacts. Garbage service is regulated by the state. We have Waste Connections and we pay $205 a month for 1.5 cu. Yd. dumpster that’s dumped twice a week or $25.62 a dump. A lot of times I have to wait for the garbage truck to come, he comes just about the time we are leaving. He never charges us more for any extra and he doesn’t say anything when dumpster has a lot of dirt in it.
Wow. Sounds like you're getting the shaft from your state.

Randy

Reaction score
We don’t have the option of buying our own dumpsters and there’s no way we could let any other business use our dumpsters, they are max’ed out every time they are dumped. I looked into getting a bigger dumpster but the large garbage truck can’t get into the back of my lot and I’m not about to put the dumpster out front, the larger dumpsters are front load, the dumpster I have now my dumpster is a rear load on wheels,. The garbage haulers have a monopoly on the trash hauling business. Their areas are protected by the state so other haulers can’t come in and under bid them. So I can’t buy my own garbage truck and start hauling trash, Geez! I always wanted to do that. Everyone in town is required to have garbage service, whether you want it or not. At my house the city runs the garbage pickup we have a small 30 gallon can, it’s emptied every 2 weeks, costs $29.70 a month.

Turbo

Reaction score
1When I sign contracts for garbage, uniforms, alarm, etc I write: "no auto renewal" by hand by my signature. It works.

2. I separate recycling out and save significantly on that.

3. I split my 2 recycling and 1 trash dumpster with another business

My net cost is $150/month for the three 2 yard dumpsters

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I keep an eye on dumpster cost and tips etc. I'm at $115/mo to tip a 4 yd dumpster twice a month. Last company I had called if the bill was a couple days late. They also frequently lost my locks during tip process. I sent them a letter cancelling their service. They sent a letter back with a statement of account, listing all my late payments. (To me, late is 30 days past due). They came and picked up the dumpster and brought me 4 new locks.

New company is great; some late tips but they come when I call. No collections calls, ever. They email my invoice. I also use them at my 8 plex apartment building.

cdreed06

Reaction score
When we started there was a national company that already had the dumpster at our location. I think it was around 275 a month but not sure. We called the company to get the thing in our name and was told a rep would call us. We waited a few days and called again, and again, and again. Called the corporate office and they apologized and said the upper people would call us back. They never did. We then just found a local guy who put his 4 yard in back and dumps it twice a week for $95 a month. We left a message with the other company to pick up their dumpster which they finally did after a few weeks. Their poor business practices saved us a lot of money. We would have just kept it with them if they had contacted us back. We had no idea.

mmurra

Reaction score
I pay the same amount every year in one annual payment. I took a 10% discount and prepaid the fee in advance for the year. I send them a check every year for the same amount, prior to getting billed. I like it that way. Helps me control my costs. Mark

Randy

Reaction score
I pay the same amount every year in one annual payment. I took a 10% discount and prepaid the fee in advance for the year. I send them a check every year for the same amount, prior to getting billed. I like it that way. Helps me control my costs. Mark
Thanks Mark, that give me an idea. I think call them and see about paying a year in advance and ask again about buying my own dumpster. They just replaced my dumpster a few months ago, it took 6 years for the bottom to rot out.

slash007

Reaction score
I pay Republic Services $26/month to rent the dumpster (6yd) and then pay the city $36/month to dump it twice a week. Seems like a steal compared to what you guys are paying. For my 4yd, I only pay $24.10/month to the city.