What's new

DS Rear Tire Rotating Wrong Direction

hkim310

Reaction score
What are reasons why the driver side rear wheel would be rotating in the opposite direction when getting pushed by a car wash roller? I have CCTV footage of a vehicle that went through our wash tunnel where the DS rear wheel is rotating in the opposite direction of travel before it hops all 3 sets of rollers. I didn't see any brake lights on when this occured. This same vehicle goes through right afterwards again because all of the soap was not removed from the vehicle and the DS rear tire is rotating the correct direction of travel and the vehicle makes it through the entire wash tunnel without issue. Any idea's would be greatly appreciated!

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
It was probably in park. The other side probably had more traction and the differential was letting the wheel with least traction slip. Jack up any RWD car and rotate one wheel. With the transmission in park, the other wheel will rotate the opposite way.

patkelly1336

Reaction score
Sometimes it means a vehicle is in reverse, but usually it is AWD or 4WD or RWD vehicles with a limited slip rear differential and they are in park. The passenger side rolls forward, the driver side rolls backward.