What's new

Drill bits

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A lot of info on using Cobalt bits. Have found the Drill doctor pays for itself sharpening just a few of the larger ones.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Agreed. I resisted buying a drill dr for years, I refused to spend that much $ for a crappy little plastic thing. BUT... I did eventually get one. Yes it works great, yes I've saved money on drill bits. If I only used a few bits I wouldnt have gotten one, but I do all my own work at the wash, I do a little woodworking, repairs home on the farm, etc... definitely worth it for me. Dull bits are like a dull knife, only good for frustration.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I got a drill Dr years ago and threw it away. I fought with it and couldn't get a bit anywhere close to sharp.

Eric H

Reaction score
A guy named Stretch taught me how to sharpen bits on a bench grinder when I was 20yo. This works too, I might get a diamond file to keep with my bits.

Mel(NC)

Reaction score
I also sharpen bits on a bench grinder. For me, the bigger the bit the easier it is to get a good edge.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score

MEP001

Reaction score
You can't sharpen pilot point bits, and once you do the titanium coating is gone. Might as well use regular HSS bits.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
Thanks MEP001,

This even confirms what you say but is a bit more thorough in a worthwhile way! Dewalt has a pretty good reputation & they sell both:

OurTown

Reaction score
I have set of Dewalt drill bits and they didn't last very long. You get what you pay for. It they are not made in USA or Germany they probably are not very good.

MEP001

Reaction score
I bought a set of Dewalt bits, mostly for the case. They were okay, the pilot point was handy and in thin material they saved time over drilling a pilot hole, but I wouldn't buy them again. I will be buying more Milwaukee cobalt despite them costing twice as much as the pro grade.