What's new

Don't take stuff for granted

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Just talked to a detail shop customer who came in a week or so ago. She had a truck detailed, talked about it being her husband's. I asked how he liked it. Se replied:"my husband died the 23d of last month". I was taken aback, said I was sorry for her loss.

In this crazy, hectic world, it's very easy to get caught up in our own concerns and problems. I need to remember that we all have problems and just because my life is going along a certain way, there are always those who will have a crummy holiday season this year because they experienced a loss or tragedy. I need to stay humble and be thankful for even being around to run my business and take care of my family.

robtl

central Ky
Reaction score
OH SO TRUE,, Humility, in my opinion, is one of the greatest gifts of grace the Lord provides for us.
If only we could spread more of it around.

Merry Christmas
Bob

galen

Reaction score
Yes your right Dave. It's easy to get caught up in your own problems and think that no one has it as bad as you. But we are a group of doer's. I always try to live as though it's the last time I will meet you. We are not perfect. I personally have room for improvement. This is the time of the year to show your kindness.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
My wife said the other day that she hadn't seen her snow bird from Michigan this year that always calls her name and give her hugs! It's like the end of a migration of a fishing villiage where you wait for ships to return.... someone doesn't. Every year here at my tunnel we see this. I have know people here for 20 years... mostly old people because of my feild of work.... one tried to place his wife in my ALF 8 years ago... she died but he come to the wash... now has terminal cancer.

this is life.

mac

Reaction score
A couple that's been very close to us just learned their new son in law has two days to live from terminal brain cancer. Merry Christmas. Man, life really is not fair.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
My wife just spent over a month at the Hope Lodge in Rochester, MN (Mayo clinic). Everyone who stays there has cancer and is receiving treatment (chemo or radiation). The Hope Lodge is run by the American cancer society and they let you and a love one stay for free! This place is VERY nice and beats the heck out of the motel room. It is not just the money, it is the support and love shared by everyone from the volunteers to the janitor to the patients. I am indebted to the American Cancer society and the Mayo clinic for the rest of my life for the outstanding care given to my wife. It is interesting how most everyone staying at the Hope Lodge did not have a "why me" attitude. Most accepted what was dealt to them and focused on working to get better. My wife said "If I would have known cancer was this fun I would have done it a long time ago", she was joking of course but there was some reality to it and it shows her great attitude. She had to deal with the fact she has MS for 8 years, so cancer was not a big leap, but it is different! Chemo and Radiation was tough on her but she did well. Next is an operation and she has the best doctors so I am confident she will do fine. This is the bell you ring when you are done with Radiation at the Mayo clinic. Anyone who can watch someone ring this bell and not get choked up has no soul.

Last edited:

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Radiation and chemo at the same time is tough (but not as tough as my wife)! They put her on a chemo pump than ran through a pick (spelling) line and pumped chemo 24 hours a day for over a month. She had to wrap her arm and hang the pump up everytime she took a shower. The pick line went into her arm though a vein, around her collor bone to a main artery by her heart. The tape tore up her arm but it was nothing compared to what the radiation did to her skin (not shown here).
My wife rarely complains and puts most of her focus on helping others worse off than her. We have been married for 20 years and I am looking forword to the next 20 plus years together!!

Last edited:

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Ryco,

God Bless Both of you this Christmas season and best of luck over the next 20 years! A Pic Line goes in the bracheal vein (elbow) up to the subclavien and to the superior vena cava (the great blood vessel that opens into the first chamber of the heart... the right atrium). I was a radiology Nurse for a time and put in Pic lines and do Radiology proceedures all day long in the cardiac cath lab. Sorry about the skin burns... they are a common effect of radiation treatment, as is GI upset, loose BM, abdominal cramping. It's mild radiation sickness.

What kind of cancer does she have..if you don't mind saying?

Reds

Reaction score
Ryco, your picture of the radiation machine stirs my emotions. I thought I had the weight of the world on my shoulders running 5 restaurants with 150 employees in 5 locations spread over a 50 mile radius. Then the doctor told me I had terminal cancer. I didn't know what stress was until that moment. I had radiation treatments to the head & neck 5 days a week for 2 months. Could not eat a meal or talk for almost 3 months (lost 55 pounds) and had to take a form of novicaine to swallow. BUT - that was 14 years ago as of this Thanksgiving weekend. Radiation has left some permanent impairments, but they are a small tradeoff for your life. A positive attitude makes a world of difference. I wish your wife the best and hope you enjoy at least 20 more years together.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
RykoPro,

Thanks for sharing your story. It's been a tough year around my household this year but compared to your situation we should be grateful for what we have. Best wishes for you and your family in the future.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Ryco, your picture of the radiation machine stirs my emotions. I thought I had the weight of the world on my shoulders running 5 restaurants with 150 employees in 5 locations spread over a 50 mile radius. Then the doctor told me I had terminal cancer. I didn't know what stress was until that moment. I had radiation treatments to the head & neck 5 days a week for 2 months. Could not eat a meal or talk for almost 3 months (lost 55 pounds) and had to take a form of novicaine to swallow. BUT - that was 14 years ago as of this Thanksgiving weekend. Radiation has left some permanent impairments, but they are a small tradeoff for your life. A positive attitude makes a world of difference. I wish your wife the best and hope you enjoy at least 20 more years together.

Thanks Reds for sharing your story! I love to hear these survival stories, they give hope and promote the best attitude. These stories mean allot to my wife and I hear her repeat them as examples of hope.
I met a man at the Hope Lodge who was receiving similar treatment to what you desribe. His wife was a Forty year cancer survivor. We made some great friends at the Lodge!
The machine my wife is in can actually bend the radiation beams to go around healthy organs. If you look close my wife is smiling in the picture!

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
Ryco,

God Bless Both of you this Christmas season and best of luck over the next 20 years! A Pic Line goes in the bracheal vein (elbow) up to the subclavien and to the superior vena cava (the great blood vessel that opens into the first chamber of the heart... the right atrium). I was a radiology Nurse for a time and put in Pic lines and do Radiology proceedures all day long in the cardiac cath lab. Sorry about the skin burns... they are a common effect of radiation treatment, as is GI upset, loose BM, abdominal cramping. It's mild radiation sickness.

What kind of cancer does she have..if you don't mind saying?
Thank you very much, I hope your family is well.
She has colon cancer. She was very lucky, the only real symtoms she had was the severe radiation burns in the worst possible places. Very painful to even look at. She is almost healed now but has to get ready for major surgery in a few weeks.

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
RykoPro,

Thanks for sharing your story. It's been a tough year around my household this year but compared to your situation we should be grateful for what we have. Best wishes for you and your family in the future.
Thank you RPH, I hope next year is a good one for your family.

I will show these posts to my wife, I know she will enjoy them.

Thank you ALL for your kind words and support!

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
RykoPro, I wish you and your wife all the best! She is definately one tough lady! Reading this thread really puts life into perspective. Things that I used to think couldn't wait till tommorrow, aren't really that big of deal after all. Merry Christmas to all!

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
Ryko,

I assume a colon resection will be done. Yes it is a big surgery with a lot of body image adjustments (as other most likely told the both of you). A colostomy bag is likely at least temporararly and it is important to get involved in taking care of it. Best of luck again to you both... you will be in my prayers these next few weeks.

On call now until Christmas day... going in soon (5 PM). Likely to be busy. Car wash party today for the staff, Parties all week at the Hospital, Kids recitals all weeks (Piano tonight.. hope I get out in time from the hospital)... dam... I need a vacation!

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
One of the people we met at the hope lodge just had surgery. He is 18 years old with a very rare cancer. He had a few "firsts at Mayo" in his treatments. He is a state champion archery expert. Very good kid!!!!!

RykoPro

Technician/Manager
Reaction score
My Wife no longer has cancer! What was not killed by the radiation and chemo was removed by a ROBOT!!!!!
(see the robot link)

http://www.intuitivesurgical.com/products/davinci_surgicalsystem/index.aspx

The robot (and the surgical team) did a great job and she was out of the hospital in just three days (with the old way you were in the hospital for eight days). She still has a few months of chemo to do but her recovery so far has been remarkable!

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
Congratulations RykoPro! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your wife!

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
My Wife no longer has cancer! What was not killed by the radiation and chemo was removed by a ROBOT!!!!!
(see the robot link)

http://www.intuitivesurgical.com/products/davinci_surgicalsystem/index.aspx

The robot (and the surgical team) did a great job and she was out of the hospital in just three days (with the old way you were in the hospital for eight days). She still has a few months of chemo to do but her recovery so far has been remarkable!
I was going to mention the DeVinci to you. My Hospital that I graduated Nursing school from was one of the first to us it for Open Heart Surgery. I actually was speaking about it a few hours ago. The surgeons actually warm up BEFORE PERFORMING SURGERY BY PLAYING VIDEO GAMES!