What's new

Don't forget to....???

Etowah

jprb

Reaction score
We are planning to start construction on a new car wash (SS and IBA) this fall. I would like to hear from everyone the things that they wish they would have added during the construction of a new wash. It seems that we have always left out this or that during construction, and then just make due afterward.

Thanks, JPRB

lighthousecarwash

Reaction score
I wish the guy that built my wash would have heated the exit pad on the automatic and installed doors. I would also kill for a roll up door on the equipment room in the rear for unloading and stacking that pallet of salt.

Just my 2 cents.

Lighthouse.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
On my north facing wash, I wish I had poured the bay concrete out about another 6' out toward the street. Overspray freezes just beyond the heated area and causes a hazard. I would just have a valve inside so that I could just turn it on when iced over instead of all the time.

waterway

Reaction score
Made sure that there was a decent pitch in my equipment room so any leaks or floods drain easily out and put a more aggressive pitch on my iba so it could clean itself better.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
In addition to the steeper pitch have at least a 1 inch lip on the entrance and exit to prevent wash water from running out of the bay.

Jimmy Buffett

Reaction score
I wish that I had put an exhaust fan in the equipment room and a water hose hook-up in the auto for cleanup.

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
If possible I would put a small window to be able to look from the equipment room into the IBA assuming it is next to it. That way you can see how any adjustments you make to the equipment or chemicals are working without having to run back and forth from the bay to the equipment room. I would also allow you to look into a bay when a customer wash was in progress to see what it going on.

Last edited:

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
Make sure your bays are hooked together with large pvc for drainage, not plugging. Plan for vending ahead of time, and plan for later upgrades in electrical useage-- say in bay blowers.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
1. heated IBA entry pad.

2. proper placement of cashier to bay entrance (mine is too far right)

3. TEFC motors and wet duty operators on IBA doors.

4. Shurvend 51 selection right outta the gate.

5. small in-bay heater for auto.

ScottV

Upstate NY
Reaction score
Run stub drains out to each end of the building, just in case you decide to add another bay years down the road. That makes it much easier to tie into the drain system, without having to tear up paving or concrete.

MEP001

Reaction score
Run two conduits to each vac in case you decide to add credit card acceptance.

Plan a spot for water/sewer connection in case you decide to add a coin-operated extractor.

Louise

Reaction score
If you have room, include a toilet and mop sink. Heated/Air conditioned office.
Hose bib in equipment room and near vacuum islands. Run conduit to outer edge of pavement to allow for future expansion of lighting, additional vacs or surveillance cameras.

And, I wish I had listened to advice of the very wise operators on this site. Don't paint anything. Looks crappy and too expensive to repaint. Try FRP or tile instead.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Hose bib near vacuum islands.
That is a good one. It is sure a pain to hook up a long hose in the equipment room and drag it out to the vacs where it is needed all the time. Better yet how about a locking cabinet with the hose already hooked up by the vacs.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
1. Air Shammee
2. Equipment room that has more room for storage
3. Coin acceptors on my vacs that have $1 acceptance (my auto cashier gives $1 coin for change)
4. Efficient on demand water heater for SS. Instead of large boiler.
5. Better bay IBA doors.
6. Hose bibs in IBA.
7. License plate camera on security system.
8. Better window vending machine.
10. Different lighting than wall paks in my IBA's
11. A loyalty system that was user friendly.
12. Reclaim system (just installed one after 6 years)
13. Room for larger trash receptacles in my vac islands.
14. Wired for sound system. (I installed one later and it does wonders for the wash.
15. Island to offer free air for tire inflation (or charged inflation)

Give me time, I'll think of more!

soapy

Reaction score
In this economy I would do extensive due diligence on the equipment distributor and manufacturer. The last thing you want is a peice of equipment that is no longer made or supported. Also do not get conned into a large down payment on equipment before it shows up on site. Allow at least 10% extra for cost over runs. Figure some priorities in case you have to cut some things during construction.

jimbeaux

Reaction score
"Run two conduits to each vac in case you decide to add credit card acceptance."

I would also add an extra 2" water line from the city water meter to the pump room. Can be connected later if needed.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
1. More redundancy in anything you deem as mission critical. Take it to mean what you want, such as extra water lines, soap lines, data lines, electrical lines, etc..

2. Bigger conduit lines to vacs or anything else which may require different lines to be pulled 20 years from now.

3. Extra HP pump with connection points at different points in the lot to wash down those hard to reach areas.

MEP001

Reaction score
jimbeaux said:
I would also add an extra 2" water line from the city water meter to the pump room. Can be connected later if needed.
Good idea - I was going to say a bigger water line, but two separate ones is better in case one breaks underground.

Jeff L said:
3. Extra HP pump with connection points at different points in the lot to wash down those hard to reach areas.
I did that - I have a 200' reel I can roll around easily and connect behind the ER through the wall. On a busy day I can get into a bay and rinse it down in just a minute instead of having a customer wait for five. With a 1508 tip and 1800 PSI I can get all the concrete (about half an acre) clean in about 45 minutes.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
To the greatest extent possible seperate main electrical panels from any wet area. Seperate masonry enclosed room if possible.

Billl acceptance in all vacs

Shower.

Seperate conduits to all bays for CC and Vacs for CC, acceptance, Alarm, and Video.

No junction boxes with Horizontal covers. Have Islands at 2 places where they put boxes in flush with top. They all leak after a while. would put them on the side with a weep hole on the bottom.

Large tanks for RO reject and rainwater collection