What's new

Dollar coins, tokens, and vending

wyatt

Reaction score
I’m wanting to switch from quarters to dollar increments ($1 coin or $1 tokens) in my bill changers. I would still accept quarters just not dispense them.

I think it’s easier on equipment and I feel sociologically it makes the customer more willing to spend more (insert 4 tokens vs watching them insert 16 quarters).

my question is what should I do with my mechanical laurel vending machines? mine only accept quarters and I can foresee upset people

MEP001

Reaction score
IMO you will have to replace the mechanical Laurel vendors, or you could stop selling vending. I went my first six months without vendors and sometimes wish I still didn't have any, but I can use that extra $3,000 a year. FWIW I'd love to have a glass-front vendor with snacks and drinks and 20 or so vending items, but I doubt I'll ever have more than three Laurel electronic vendors.

Roz

Reaction score
If you only have mechanical laurels then you have to make a choice between quarters and dollar coins. There is a dollar mechanical for laurels (from KR). If you have digital laurels then I believe you can program them to acceptor both.

we swapped 8 laurels for a vending machine. After you get over the initial cost for the vending machine it provides A cleaner look to the wash, more selling options, and more payment options. Ours accepts our tokens and credit cards. CC is overboard in my hindsight but customers like it. Tokens potentially discount our prices by 20% if they change a $20 but I can live with that customer convenience. We sell about the same amount as you in vending products so I am not certain I would do this approach again as we work harder for the $3k than any other revenue source (at least it can feel that way).

Reactions: sjb

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
Yup, depends what your current vending revenue is. Too many years ago I upgraded the mechanical laurels to electronic, and bought a glass-front vendor. We make so little $ on vending that its not worth it, I'm gradually reducing how many vendors I have and considering selling the glass front vendor.
I'd probably just slowly upgrade the vendors to electronic as budget and profitability allows, and continue to adjust over time. I wouldnt be too worried about "upset customers," your not taking away functionality. My rude self has wants to tell upset customers that "I make 10 cents on that item, if you will buy enough of it today for me to make the $1000 investment to allow you to pay for it with a credit card I'll gladly do it."

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
My change machine dispenses inch and an eighth tokens. I accept quarters and tokens in my wash bays, Laurel electronic vendor and glass front vending machine. I bought several used single column quarter only vending machines some years ago. I also have an air machine and a mat brusher machine that take quarters only.

The customers figure it out. They do ask for change sometimes if they don't have quarters for the air machine etc. Most days we are staffed so giving quarters it's not a problem.

Dispensing tokens only but accepting tokens, quarters and CC is the best way, IMO. I was tokens only for a few years at first. Big mistake. Lots of lost revenue.

Last edited:

MEP001

Reaction score
If you only have mechanical laurels then you have to make a choice between quarters and dollar coins.
Mechanical Laurel vendors cannot take a dollar coin. I replaced the coin mechs in mine for ones that take both quarters and .984 tokens since I mix those tokens into the changer, and that actually works fine. He'd have to take ONLY .984 tokens, everything would have to be a dollar increment, and AFAIK the only option would be to put a Slugbuster or Sensortron in the vendor. Might as well upgrade to an electronic vendor and add a CC swiper.
I am not certain I would do this approach again as we work harder for the $3k than any other revenue source (at least it can feel that way).
I couldn't agree more. I know a guy with two glass-front vendors at one of his washes and does $1500 a month per vendor (I assume that's gross) but he has an attendant who fills it. I only have two Laurel vendors, and the only thing I hate more than stocking them is cleaning out the vacuums.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I enjoy stocking the vending! I look at it as my little 24 hr. store that doesn't require any clerk. It's exciting to see stuff being sold. The customers appreciate all the choices as well as the ice cold sodas from the Shurvend/VisiCombo. It's fun for me and I can get some nice 'me time' while I re-stock.

Randy

Reaction score
The mechanical laurel vendors can be made to accept a Dollar coin or a large 1.074 token, but only the single coin version. The multi-coin version that takes up to 17 coins cannot be made to accept the larger coins. The best thing I think you can do is go to an electronic vendor. I don't stock the vending anymore, I just get to fix them when they don't work, which isn't very often. Our best sellers are the terry and microfiber towels we buy at Costco, we can't hardly keep them in stock. Our best tree is "Wild Hemp" https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-68768-little-trees-air-fresheners-wild-hemp-72-pouch-pack.aspx they are out selling all the other trees.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
The mechanical laurel vendors can be made to accept a Dollar coin or a large 1.074 token, but only the single coin version. The multi-coin version that takes up to 17 coins cannot be made to accept the larger coins. The best thing I think you can do is go to an electronic vendor. I don't stock the vending anymore, I just get to fix them when they don't work, which isn't very often. Our best sellers are the terry and microfiber towels we buy at Costco, we can't hardly keep them in stock. Our best tree is "Wild Hemp" https://www.kleen-ritecorp.com/p-68768-little-trees-air-fresheners-wild-hemp-72-pouch-pack.aspx they are out selling all the other trees.
From the way you describe your location and clientele I'm not surprised wild hemp is a big seller...

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
From the way you describe your location and clientele I'm not surprised wild hemp is a big seller...
Keith Baker, I agree no laughing matter!

Since I have a very large number of first cousins out Randy's way ... one of whom was murdered at a very young age ... my heart does go out to them & others ... including Randy! Because of unintended consequences ... I am definitely with local law enforcement when it comes to on the ballot in a few days "legalization of recreational use" of the delta-8 THC version of the Hemp Weed. I am a "no" vote. Do I need to cover & protect my head on this issue too?

Randy

Reaction score
Keith Baker, I agree no laughing matter!

Since I have a very large number of first cousins out Randy's way ... one of whom was murdered at a very young age ... my heart does go out to them & others ... including Randy! Because of unintended consequences ... I am definitely with local law enforcement when it comes to on the ballot in a few days "legalization of recreational use" of the delta-8 THC version of the Hemp Weed. I am a "no" vote. Do I need to cover & protect my head on this issue too?
It's all about money, the government wants the tax money, the growers, sellers all make money. The money in the pot industry is absolutely obscene!!

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
I’m wanting to switch from quarters to dollar increments ($1 coin or $1 tokens) in my bill changers. I would still accept quarters just not dispense them.
The Laurel 899MAX with Microcoin QL acceptor has been heavily favored and highly regarded by my customer operators who dispense $1 coins only.

Laurel’s 399MAX is a steady performer, too. It’s especially popular in the college town locations because there’s no knob to pull or button to push. (Form your own opinion about that particular population)

Check with Chip at Laurel...your machines might be retrofit capable.

sjb

Reaction score
We made the conversion to only dispensing our new $1 tokens back in June 2021. We also started accepting CC’s, which has made a significant difference in our bottom line on this biz. We do accept customers quarters and dollar coins.

Of the 25K tokens originally purchased, we only have 6k tokens left for refilling the hoppers. The other tokens are floating around in glove boxes, and dresser drawers. We paid .40 cents each and sell them for a dollar. It’s a good side gig.

The vending revenue has dropped as quarters are not readily available. We still have 4 single column vending machines and the 5 column smelley Christmas trees. We do get a healthy monthly surplus of quarters that customers bring us.

We did add a electronic 3 column vend that does sell a lot of black Jack and armor all cleaning and protectant for $2 each. This machine accepts quarters, dollar coins and our tokens.

IMO, Bite the bullet, and make the conversion to only dispensing your $1 tokens and accepting CC’s. Your vending revenue will likely drop with the old machines, until the engineers figure out a viable conversion!

Best of luck on all your decisions and endeavors!

Attachments

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We made the conversion to only dispensing our new $1 tokens back in June 2021. We also started accepting CC’s, which has made a significant difference in our bottom line on this biz. We do accept customers quarters and dollar coins.

Of the 25K tokens originally purchased, we only have 6k tokens left for refilling the hoppers. The other tokens are floating around in glove boxes, and dresser drawers. We paid .40 cents each and sell them for a dollar. It’s a good side gig.

Best of luck on all your decisions and endeavors!
SJB & others,

I hope the token approach works out for you & others ... one caveat that is known by some of us old timers ... is that there might be a "danger of another business's similar token in the specific geographic location" if the tokens & coin mech does not have enough security feature safeguards. In a more perfect world ... we could be paying less in taxes if higher denomination universally accepted government coins would be more common ... because more "Seigniorage" would go towards that instead of just a few "lucky with tokens" car wash operators.

IMHO ... if we could just find a way to elect better leaders at all levels of government ... maybe the higher denomination coins could still happen as a healthy "safety net" to 100% cashless! Even with the best leaders ... they still need to have the right kind of support from enough mass media though. The 100% cashless paradigm has proven to be a serious persecution problem for Hong Kong natives.

Last edited: