What's new

Do you use 1/4" or 3/8" hose runs from to your bays

Etowah

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I changed over to 1/4" hose runs to the bays and 1/4" boom to gun (for customer convenience and less sound when hose hits the car) years ago.
I'm thinking about changing back over to 3/8" hose runs from equipment room to bays. Right now I still have 1/4".
I'm wondering if this is one reason I get freeze ups.
Any thoughts?

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I've been swapping over to the stainless steel instrument tubing for my runs to the top of the bays. I did this because after years of having hoses in services, they tend to clog like arteries do from breakdown of the rubber and collection of minerals and chemicals. Eventually choking the bay and impacting the service delivered. I don't worry about freeze ups because I circulate hot glycol through a looped hose in the trough and have it up against the steel to radiate the heat. Has worked well for years now.

mrfixit

Reaction score
Its always been 3/8 here. It has twice the flow capacity of 1/4" in use.

More water in the 3/8 hose will take longer to freeze... So it would be better.. But usually freezups are related to other problems with the weep system. Like restriction of water lines, and low pressure.

3/8 would probably help either way.. But then the 1/4 in the bays would freeze.! Lol .. I guess I think 1/4 would freeze quick.

You should check out the clearstream hoses in 3/8 if you decide to go all the way. They arent heavy wirebraid, they're very light and wierdly soft feeling but strong. They appear to be durable so far. Just changed all my bays to it a few months ago.

Last edited: