What's new

D & S i5000 presoak problem

Jim64

Reaction score
I have an issue with my i5000 presoak application. The gantry moves toward the rear of the car and stops at the bottom of the arches and on the way back up the presoak stops around eye level. The tips still have air coming out but no presoak. The pump continues to run until the thermal overload kicks in. It does this every time. The odd thing is that when I engage the presoak using the output monitor it runs perfectly. I was able to get the presoak to work during the entire wash but I had to reduce the pressure to about 50 psi which is well below the normal 300. Any suggestions will be appreciated.

MEP001

Reaction score
Do a load test of the motor. If it's in spec, the thermal overload is probably bad. It does not break the power when manually engaged, it only opens the circuit of the control voltage to the coil.

Jim64

Reaction score
Hi MEP, just to verify. Everything runs through the same pump and motor at low, medium, and high pressure. I should check the load on the 25hp motor? There are no other issues with any of the other functions.

MEP001

Reaction score
Is the thermal overload for the 25HP motor the one that trips?

Jim64

Reaction score
My bad, looks like I need to explain further. The presoak is fed by a recirculating system and when the presoak stops coming out of the gantry tips the pump continues to run. When the water gets too hot the hot water overload opens on the pump. I think it has to be a power issue to the presoak solenoid although it is still getting power. I haven’t put a meter on it yet to see if it is dropping. What gets me is that it is happening at the same time every time.

MEP001

Reaction score
Can you temporarily turn off the heat for the water to see if it's not just relieving the pressure on the pump from the temperature of the water?

Jim64

Reaction score
There is not a hot water feed. The water is heated as it recirculates. When the presoak solenoid fails to open the pump continues to run and heat water. The hot water relief is doing what it is supposed to do. The problem is the presoak solenoid.