What's new

Cryptopay Headsup

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I got a call from a customer that was showing seven $10 charges on their credit card statement from April 6th. When I looked up the charges I showed only one $11.50 charge. I contacted Cryptopay and was told they had some kind of issue on the 6th which caused customers to receive multiple authorizations and it has been rectified. As of today, my customer is still showing $70 tied up. Had he not called, I would have been none the wiser. April 6th was an incredibly busy day here. I'll be curious to see how many disputes or chargebacks this results in a few weeks from now.

APW

Reaction score
I've only gotten one call so far. I'm surprised my phone hasn't been blowing up....

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
I would have felt better had Cryptopay notified me pro-actively with an email.

Customers are so quick to dispute charges these days rather than calling and inquiring. I hope this doesn’t end up costing me a bunch of money.

CryptoPay Support

Reaction score
Thank you GoBuckeyes we always welcome customer feedback, and CryptoPay has sent a global email to all our customers.
These are the other pro-active measures we took:
- Saturday and Sunday customer service phone and chat support was provided on the day of the event.
- Service outage was posted on all MyCryptoPay.com login accounts on the day of the event.
- The CryptoPay engineering team rapidly took corrective actions the day of the event.
- Created the following response for our Car Wash merchants:

On Saturday April 6th our credit card system experienced a processing service interruption. During this time some of your carwash customers may have received multiple Pre-Authorizations.
These are only Pre-Authorizations, not final charges. These funds have not been removed from your account. Your bank controls the timing for removing these pre-authorizations from your account. This problem has been resolved and these pre-authorizations are being removed.

Thanks for your support - CryptoPay 719-277-7400.

GoBuckeyes

Reaction score
Thanks Support. There’s no doubt you guys did a bunch behind the scenes. I received your email about an hour after I posted this heads up today.

Either Saturday or Sunday I was on the MyCryptoPay page to check usage and didn’t notice any message. If you say it was there I’m sure it was but it certainly didn’t jump out at me.

I’ve only had your system in a few months and this is the first problem or issue I’ve had. I replaced another system that had persistent issues charging our customers the authorization in addition to their actual charges and couldn’t stomach it anymore.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Never got any e-mail from genysys / cryptopay.

slash007

Reaction score
I never got an email either. Just saw the "technical difficulties" message on their site, but had no idea what was wrong or what it meant.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I received an email from them today stating the outtage. On my login page late Saturday and all day Sunday there was a big orange banner at the heading of the page that had a notification of the outtage. I gotta say i have had Cryptopay for around 7-8 years now and this is the first time I can remember having any issues. I received one call about multiple pending charges and customer was very appreciative of my callback explaining the outtage. I am a big fan of Cryptopay!!

Whimpy

Reaction score
We are working with a customer who says his cc statement has a charge on his statement equal to our authorization charge. The authorization amount exceeds by triple any amount spent by this customer all the way back to 2016. I will let everyone know how this turns out. His last wash was March 6,2019. He just received his statement.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We are working with a customer who says his cc statement has a charge on his statement equal to our authorization charge. .
Make sure it's the actual month end statement and not an account status he is showing you on his phone.

Whimpy

Reaction score
Make sure it's the actual month end statement and not an account status he is showing you on his phone.
Earl thanks for the advice, but we have experienced that many times and it is one of the first things we ask. It has caught my eye because it has been a month also since he made the purchase. We have been cussed many times for the authorization amount. Ours is higher than normal because we had it raised up due to a loophole in Cryptopays system. We had a bunch of kids who figured out that they could buy a gift card for $10 and turn on the wash, then keep adding time up to about $24 if I remember right. They would line up behind the bay and all their buddies would wash their cars on that one card. The credit card company then hit us with a chargeback fee of $30+ dollars. So it cost me about $44 to bring in $10 gross money. I had to have Cryptopay up my authorization amount to stop them from doing this. It was either this or man my cameras and catch em and have a bunch of local kids arrested. I have found a much better solution than Crytopay. I have been testing a Nayax VPOS for a little over a year. It is on an automatic carwash Standard Autocashier and it has worked great. One of the things I like about it is I don't have to deal with PCI compliance. The rate I have is less than any one of the other three companies I deal with. Just today I received a shipment of 12 of their VPOS Touch swipers. These things take chip cards also and other NFC applications. These are going to go on pulse applications which is the problem in front of me right now. I have to figure out how to wire them. I think I have but we will see. I will send an update on what happens with transaction above.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
We had a bunch of kids who figured out that they could buy a gift card for $10 and turn on the wash, then keep adding time up to about $24 if I remember right. .
So I am guessing you are not "Count Up". ?

OurTown

Reaction score
Would that make a difference? I thought it charged the pre auth amount and then let it go up to your max charge per swipe. The same for count down assuming the customer keeps pressing the button to add time on the same swipe. Maybe the fix is to lower the max per swipe amount.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Would that make a difference? I thought it charged the pre auth amount and then let it go up to your max charge per swipe. The same for count down assuming the customer keeps pressing the button to add time on the same swipe. Maybe the fix is to lower the max per swipe amount.
No, with count up it authorizes to a max of whatever you set. It then counts up to the max. Pressing the button stops the time and charges. If they want more than the max they have to re swipe. Here is a quick video which included my initial set up mistake where I stopped it and it showed 40 cents. i later changed that to the minimum start up price. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBxcHLP3mg

Whimpy

Reaction score
Our preauthorization amount is $22. Our start price is $3. Our max charge at this time is $16. I have not had any more chargebacks since I made this change. I have had a lot more cussings.

Whimpy

Reaction score
I would like to note that when that gift card was used and we got that chargeback I was curious about the logic involved. Our preauthorization was initially set at $10 and there were many charges that exceeded the $10 preauthorization but did not create a chargeback. It appears that if the persons credit card had a credit limit exceeding the charge it all went right on through. This happened some time back and I don't know if Cryptopay has ever done anything about it. I have been in this business a long time and I remember way back around 1975 I was working for a distributor and we installed new coin acceptors for a customer. A few months later I ran into the customer and he told me that his income went up about $2000 a month and has remained up ever since we installed the new acceptors. He knew he was being cheated but had no idea it was that much. Don't ever underestimate the impact that school kids can have if they figure out how to cheat you. This is really telling my age but this will mean something to some of you. Beer can tab and a few inches of electrical tape. Have a nice day everyone.

OurTown

Reaction score
No, with count up it authorizes to a max of whatever you set. It then counts up to the max. Pressing the button stops the time and charges. If they want more than the max they have to re swipe. Here is a quick video which included my initial set up mistake where I stopped it and it showed 40 cents. i later changed that to the minimum start up price. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPBxcHLP3mg
I just verified with Cryptopay this: The card is charged each time it is swiped the pre auth amount. It is set default at $10 unless you contact them to change it. The pre auth is site wide so you can't change it for each swiper. It then can go up to the max charge per swipe you have set up on each swiper on your login account. Ours is set up for their default $10 pre auth and our max per swipe is set at $25. That means that the customer has at least $10 in their account, available credit, or on their gift card. Therefore with our setup is anything between $10 and $25 a potential charge back? I have only noticed a few since installing Cryptopay so at this point we will probably stay with our settings.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
"Ours is set up for their default $10 pre auth and our max per swipe is set at $25. That means that the customer has at least $10 in their account, available credit, or on their gift card. Therefore with our setup is anything between $10 and $25 a potential charge back? "
I would think so The auth should be same as max.

OurTown

Reaction score
What does everybody set their max per swipe charge to?