What's new

Cryptopay for vacuums?

Reaction score
So I have pretty much decided to add Cryptopay to one of my washes. Seems like a no brainer for the wash bays but the vacuums I have some concerns about. My vacuums generate a significant part of my overall revenue at this wash and are priced at $1.00 for 4 min. I am back and forth on keeping the start price the same as cash in adding the cc acceptance but I can't see that being a good idea for my vacs as they are currently priced. So I either don't add cc acceptance to the vacs or I reduce the time to 3:30 or maybe even 3 min per dollar and charge a $2 min start for CC. The wash bay is $1.50 for 4 min and I am kind of open to it being either same as cash with same start price or $3 min for CC because I will be using count up and I'm pretty sure the average will be at least $3 anyway. This wash has only been open for 9 1/2 months so I am reluctant to reduce time just yet. Around here I don't think much higher prices will fly considering I am already one of the highest start prices in the area. It has been a poor year for business as well (rain, rain, and more rain)so I do not think I have seen even close to "normal" levels of business yet. Is it worth adding Cryptopay to the vacs? It is about a $2k investment to do so.

mgmtoo

Reaction score
I wish you well on the vac changes, I'm in Tulsa and my prices are the same as yours. 5bay SS, 1 IBA, 6 vacs. I added Cryptopay to two bays 2 years ago, as a trial , and have not paid for the equipment yet! The Min. purchase is $3.00. The swipers get some use, but the fees that I get charged run about 19%. (this is not a typo). Makes it a little difficult to add more, let alone to the vacs. So I'll just stick to cash for now. My vacs generate about $50.00 per day.

tdlconceptsllc

Reaction score
I will tell my story again on vacs with cryptopay 8 vacs all combos lol. I added them last summer and have a wash in a ritzy little town and charge $2.00 on vacs and maybe have 2-3 people a week use credit card on them but they still use quarters 20x more than CC. Now my bays cryptopay does very well. The ROI is not there on vacuums to justify doing. I could think of 10 other improvements to get better return at a wash than cryptopay on vacs lesson learned.

MEP001

Reaction score
The only experience I have on this matter is with someone else I helped with installing Cryptopay. My opinion to him was to have a swipe charge $2, with his cash startup at $1, and disable the button. it was based partly on him saying his customers on average vacuumed for two cycles, so the plan was most of them could swipe their card and put it away. He says it's working as expected for the most part.

Reaction score
I will probably forego putting it on the vacs and keep start price the same as cash with the hope that average cc tickets will be at least $3. 19% scares me though. I have seen poeple stating cc fees charged all over the map since I have been researching posts here.

OurTown

Reaction score
If you polled everyone on here you would find that 19 percent is rare. We are at just under 7% all in.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I just went thru the same thing. I have an 8 bay with a single island containing 2 Vacs between each pair of bays. So, there is one closer to the approach side and one closer to the bays if this makes sense. So, I did the 4 vacs closer to the approach side with signage on the approach side. . Incremental cost was about $650.00. (Swiper $400 and LED 7 $250.00) Pricing is same as yours and I went to the $2.00 start for credit card ($5.00 max) but kept time per quarter the same as cash. I have count up. Has only been one month but I figured count up was great for Bays so it may be great for vacs. If the Vac takes in an extra $2.00 a day because of this the payback is less than a year. Still not sure the $2.00 start was the right thing to do.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have 2 locations with Cryptopay. 1 Location 7 bays, 7 vacs 1 Iba. My overall CC use is about 30%. 2nd location 4 bays, 12 vacs 1 Iba. CC use is about 80%. I have to add CC to vacs at location #2. I am losing a ton of $$$$ because no one in the area carrys cash. I see people leave and when I do catch them and ask why "it doesnt take CC" I have a token machine that takes it, "I didnt want to walk over there"!!! My #1 location is a totally different situation. So I really think it depends where you are. But what we all need to remember is credit card use is only going up not down. My overall rate at both locations is right around 5.5% overall.

Reaction score
mgmtoo, is your exceptionally high rate for cc fees a result of low ticket averages or low volume of purchases or a combination of both? Why would the rate be so high compared to an average of 7 ish %?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
.................... no one in the area carrys cash. ....................My #1 location is a totally different situation. So I really think it depends where you are. But what we all need to remember is credit card use is only going up not down. My overall rate at both locations is right around 5.5% overall.
1. I assume you are count up?
2. Just got my Sept. Statement 5.6% but my tunnel is included and I am EE with a $3.50 base. I ad the qualifier because the somewhat larger charges for the tunnel like the IBA can skew the percentage downward slightly from pure SS & Vac.
3. Even at the 30% and even if you eliminate the IBA which virtually requires CC acceptance do you have any misgivings about adding CC to SS or Vacs?

JoshsWashes

Reaction score
I wouldn't go adding them to existing vacs... 2 out of 4 of my vacs have them and they do OK. The only reason I have them is because I had to order a couple new vacs from an insurance claim. I have them set to count up at $2 minimum.

JoshsWashes

Reaction score
I must also note that my wash was run down when I purchased it so when I added the new vacs there was a little bit of fan fare associated with that as well.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Here is a photo of my LED 7 and crypto retrofit in a D&S Vac. Used to 1/4" pieces of lexan so card would swipe without hitting top or bottom lip.

JustClean

Reaction score
I would go Nayax.com
The reason Cryptopay is so expensive is that they are not PCI compliant.
Since Nayax in addition to the pulse also uses the MDB protocoll of vending machines. I built my own simple entry system.
I just took the internals of a vending machine and "vend" 3 different washes - plain simple. No fancy displays.
No hoppers and therefor no coins in the courtyard - just a vending machine coin changer, note reader, CC reader.
Everything is plug'n'play. And the most important thing it is PCI compliant, accepts Apple or Android Pay

JustClean

Reaction score
Hmm...I might be wrong. I was under the impression that you cannot get compliant with a swipe card reader alone...but that might be different in Australia.

OurTown

Reaction score
National Pride and Cryptopay have some explaining to do.

https://youtu.be/GSaOmujHsJQ
I hope that no one on here runs that place. It looks like they have other issues too. I was thinking what Earl was saying too but if you read their Google reviews you can see that it is not just that the decimal point was off two places. Something is strange there and it would be nice to know what the issue was so we can all avoid being on the nightly news for that.

OurTown

Reaction score
I contacted Cryptopay about that issue and here is what they said:

"The incident that occurred at one car wash was quickly identified, corrected and the effected transactions were refunded. The scope of the incident affected a single day's business at a single location following a software feature upgrade."