What's new

Cryptopay coordinator in a metal ER?

Etowah
Reaction score
I was looking over the installation instructions for the Cryptopay coordinator and it states that the signal will not pass through metal walls. My carwash was originally built with metal panels and had brick put over it sometime later I assume. Will I have problems with this? Anyone dealt with this situation before?

Randy

Reaction score
Call Tom at Cryptopay, he has a solution to your dilemma.

MEP001

Reaction score
The antenna screws into the side of the coordinator with a fitting similar to a coax cable, so you should be able to extend just the antenna outside. I'd guess it uses the same type as a standard wi-fi.

Roz

Reaction score
Do you have wi-fi in the equipment room that you can see outside? I would think that the signal will get through the wall however you might look at moving the coordinator to the attic and simply use a longer cable to the router.

Reaction score
My internet is being installed Monday. No attic just a flat roof. If it is an issue, I will extend the coordinator antennae out of the room.

MEP001

Reaction score
Do you have wi-fi in the equipment room that you can see outside? I would think that the signal will get through the wall however you might look at moving the coordinator to the attic and simply use a longer cable to the router.
A lot of washes in Texas are steel walls and roof and no attic, which is basically a Faraday cage. Wi-fi can't get through them.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have my coordinators mounted in the soffits of both my locations. Just ran my own cat 5 and power for it.

Reaction score
Internet installed today and I can see wifi just about everywhere on the property. Hopefully the coordinator signal is as strong.

MEP001

Reaction score
The Cryptopay readers will leapfrog the signal to other readers.

Etowah

bert79

Reaction score
Just installed cryptopay and got it up and running at our 3+1. The furthest swiper from the equipment room is the Autocashier (about 60'). The signal reaches just fine. The verification is actually very fast. It was helpful to know that the swipers acted as jumpers for the signal, I was a little nervous about the verification speed on the Autocashier swiper being slower than the other three.

cap732000

Reaction score
I had problem at one of my washes I just plumbed the antenna outside mounted inside a large weatherproof electrical box easy breezy!

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I had problem at one of my washes I just plumbed the antenna outside mounted inside a large weatherproof electrical box easy breezy!
Ok Cap,

CryptoPay tells me the only solution is to mount the coordinator in a non metallic weather proof box. I like the idea of just moving the antenna outside. I've been to hardware stores and been Googling, but cannot figure out what connectors I need to use. Got any help with this for us unskilled folks? Hardware store tells me its a "mini coax" or "mini BNC". There are too many options for me to buy online without knowing what I'm looking for.

cap732000

Reaction score
I think what Mep has shown would work but how I did it was I used a air card and have a wireless router placed air card in router and mounted a plastic box up high outside just drilled a hole and ran what wire I had just inside up high to the coordinator so I didn’t buy a different cord. I could see coordinator from ground and if there was a problem I grabbed a ladder and climbed up and reset it

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
For those coming after me, to remote mount the antenna you need a cable that has a "Reverse SMA plug" on one end and a "Reverse SMA jack" on the other end. The pic is the antenna in its new weather proof housing.