What's new

CryptoPay Chargebacks (Capital One)

Etowah

SuperSuds04

Reaction score
I upgraded to CryptoPay about a year and a half ago, never got chargebacks before with my old swipe wash pay system. I have a 3 SS 2 IBA setup of good volume. After installing CryptoPay I’ve gotten a handful a month which I get some consumers are that way whether honest or not. But my main question is I’ve had 4/5 customers over the last 6 months who’ve had specifically a Capital One Quicksilver card and they said they never even filed the chargeback. Has anyone ever seen/heard/experienced anything of the sort? As in they swipe the card use everything as required end their charges finalize then never file for anything and I get hit with a chargeback claim. I’m very hands on with my wash and know most of my reoccurring customer base so I don’t believe it’s a lie by all of them and seem to be wondering if Capital One has in their software when it sees a preauthorization then a different final charge they may have a program automatically filing a claim in the card holders behalf dependent on the business/usage? Just curious if anyone takes the time to talk to their customers and ask when they see these happen

Thanks!

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I have seen some weird stuff like that. Our automatic pricing is $10, $12, $14 and $19. Sometimes I’ll get a dispute for something goofy like $9.75? I’ve never followed up or investigated it though.

OurTown

Reaction score
Every time that I can remember the charge back is never the full amount. We went for years without one and now they are about once a month. Many times the original purchase is far enough back we don't have video footage to help find out who it is. They are never the same card number.

SuperSuds04

Reaction score
Every time that I can remember the charge back is never the full amount. We went for years without one and now they are about once a month. Many times the original purchase is far enough back we don't have video footage to help find out who it is. They are never the same card number.
mine usually come 2/3 weeks after the charge was done. Just strange I’ve tried to send in proof/letters/footage and never have had any luck with winning a dispute

sparkey

Reaction score
I have seen this when a prepaid credit card or debit card doesn't have enough funds on it. If the preauth is set to low and the card didn't have enough funds on it I would get a chargeback for the amount they were short. I used to get chargebacks all the time until I raised my preauth to my highest wash price.

OurTown

Reaction score
I have seen this when a prepaid credit card or debit card doesn't have enough funds on it. If the preauth is set to low and the card didn't have enough funds on it I would get a chargeback for the amount they were short. I used to get chargebacks all the time until I raised my preauth to my highest wash price.

That's interesting and we do have only a $2 pre auth. Actually now that I think about it our charge backs started about the time we dropped it down.

SuperSuds04

Reaction score
when I first installed I had my preauthorization set to a higher amount but got a fair amount of calls from people only spending $5/7 in our SS bays wondering why there was a $14 hold so I dropped mine due to that. But maybe I’ll change that and see if it helps I could see that being the issue

OurTown

Reaction score
when I first installed I had my preauthorization set to a higher amount but got a fair amount of calls from people only spending $5/7 in our SS bays wondering why there was a $14 hold so I dropped mine due to that. But maybe I’ll change that and see if it helps I could see that being the issue

Default is $10. Did you change it to $14 when you initially installed the system?

SuperSuds04

Reaction score
Default is $10. Did you change it to $14 when you initially installed the system?
yes they told us to go with our highest wash package. Then when we added readers on our vacuums we put it down to $2 our minimum amount because the calls of a customer just using a vacuum seeing a $14 hold with only a $2/3 transaction was quite confusing seeing how for some reason they take 2/3 days to settle on the customers card. So now we have a $2 pre authorized amount but regardless of what our amount was it’s been about the same amount of chargebacks whether it was $14/ $2 or $10

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
what do you have your pre authorization charge at?
Thats a good question. I logged into my Cryptopay portal to check for that site but it's not listed anywhere. I guess I would have to call them to find out. Regardless, all four of our wash packages are priced in even dollars, there should never be a dispute for X dollars and change.

New Washdog

Reaction score
About three years ago we raised our hold to the maximum charge per swipe to avoid the prepaid card issue. Cryptopay was new to us and it took us a few months to figure out why we were getting chargebacks.

OurTown

Reaction score
Just got another chargeback and this time the ticket was for $17.25 and the chargeback was for $14.25. It was only two weeks ago so I pulled up the video footage and saw that the person did not push the swiper button to stop the bay when done washing in a self serve bay. After seeing that I assumed the person was disputing the charge but after calling Worldpay I found out that their bank initiated it and they only had $2.50 in their account when they swiped. I called Cryptopay to raise the pre auth from $2 to $5. Based on history that will eliminate almost all of the chargebacks we had since lowering it from $10 to $2. We also wanted to change the dba name to add the words "pre auth" in front of our wash's name but had to call Worldpay back to do that. That way when they see on their phone banking app that there was a $5 charge for a $2 vacuum they will immediately see the words "pre auth" next to it and maybe most of the name of our car wash. Even if they can only see so much of the name because it is really long now and might be chopped off I'm sure it will help. I'm taking notes from APW but with a twist. (I think he changed his washes to "pre auth car wash")

slash007

Reaction score
You can just chat with Cryptopay and have the name changed that way. Way easier than calling Worldpay. I did the same, changed all of mine to pre-auth-name of car wash. My auth amount is $15 though.

OurTown

Reaction score
You can just chat with Cryptopay and have the name changed that way. Way easier than calling Worldpay. I did the same, changed all of mine to pre-auth-name of car wash. My auth amount is $15 though.

They told me that the name change is done by Worldpay. John at Cryptopay said that they can put in a ticket for the change but Worldpay will have to contact me anyway so I might as well just call them. I'm going to see how this goes and raise the pre auth later if we need to. Slash do you ever get any calls about the $15 hold since your name change?

slash007

Reaction score
They told me that the name change is done by Worldpay. John at Cryptopay said that they can put in a ticket for the change but Worldpay will have to contact me anyway so I might as well just call them. I'm going to see how this goes and raise the pre auth later if we need to. Slash do you ever get any calls about the $15 hold since your name change?
Weird, I just changed them via chat and Worldpay never contacted me. I still get a call here and there about the auth, but significantly less than before. Maybe 1-2 times per month now.

APW

Reaction score
Definitely worth putting pre-auth in front of your car wash name. I'm like slash, my calls are one or two a month compared to 50 before. LOL