What's new

Coleman Shampoo/Vac & Frag/Vac parts pricing help!

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some help to save some dollars here. I have a refurb project going on some JC combo units to put at the wash and just got the pricing back from Coleman and yikes!.....$93 for just a dome!

Anyone tried painting the vac domes and if so what paint did you use? Any tips or pointers to make sure the paint adheres well to the surface? These vacs will be covered under the vac canopy so they get very little if any direct sunlight so I'm thinking I can get by with painting them.

Next, shampoo and fragrance hose/handle assemblies anyone know of a cheaper alternative, JC prices shampoo: $198.95 and the fragrance: $270.62

Thanks and as always appreciate all the advice posted here!

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
I know a guy that painted a dome with plastic paint and it looked pretty good from a distance.

You can have the assemblies rebuilt and save a few dollars, or some have put fragramatics assemblies on their coleman units. I think IB installed a hose from them and added a solenoid on his Coleman FV.

MEP001

Reaction score
Hey guys looking for some help to save some dollars here. I have a refurb project going on some JC combo units to put at the wash and just got the pricing back from Coleman and yikes!.....$93 for just a dome!
That's not too bad - I just priced domes for older Industrial vacs, and they're $116. These are plain, round, plastic domes.

slash007

Reaction score
I have some from another wash I bought that was torn down and they were yellow and then painted blue. Don't know what they used, but they still look good over 3 years later. I wanted blue domes so I replaced all of mine with them. For the hoses, I have been just buying the hose and not the heads. You can reuse the original shampoo and frag heads and it's not that hard to replace. Saves alot of $ too.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys....yeah im debating to bite the bullet in the domes bc I was going to try to light them up to draw customer attention to the new combo vacs.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Home depot has a spray paint for plastic. May be a rustoleum product . I forget. As long as you don't want light to shine thru from underneath. View attachment 1341

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
A tip. My hoses were lasting about a year. Failed a center where they flexed a rubbed the ground. Have added thecil type hose protector from KR to the center 3 feet. They have now lasted until dry rot sets in.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have a couple red/pink domes for the big oval vacs. In pretty good condition.

soapy

Reaction score
A automotive paint store will have a special primer that you use on plastic parts that will hold the paint better. I have used it on several things and never had the paint fail after doing the proper prep.

MEP001

Reaction score
A automotive paint store will have a special primer that you use on plastic parts that will hold the paint better. I have used it on several things and never had the paint fail after doing the proper prep.
The downside is that you need a compressor, paint gun, the proper thinners, etc. Harbor Freight has a cheap paint gun for $16 that apparently is very good. Some automotive paint suppliers will put the same thing into spray cans which makes it a lot less trouble.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
FWIW, now on second round of painting domes with the rustoleum product. Has not come off. Looks good for 2 years or so and after 4 years I did it again.

Rfreeman

Reaction score
Earl,

Are you vacs in direct sunlight all day or most of the day? My vacs are completely covered under the vac canopy so I think if I decided to paint them that would help them last longer.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Earl,

Are you vacs in direct sunlight all day or most of the day?
Most are in Sunlight all day. Even ones with Canopies get hit on the sides most of the day.
I have painted Red and Blue ones as well.