What's new

Chemical line and competitors

washnshine

Reaction score
Do any of you make an effort to use a different chemical brand from your competitors’ to differentiate your wash from theirs?

I started using hot wax and shine in 2014 and since then just about everyone around me uses it. It’ll probably find its way into the ss around me too since they have ss kits now.

I know I’ve had it for five years now, but I’m wondering if the fact that it is found and marketed at the washes near me make it stand out less or maybe not as novel.

It still sells great because it works great, but I want to have a more unique marketing plan at my wash to remain fresh and unique from my competitors.

Any thoughts?

MEP001

Reaction score
I would bet good money that virtually no customers know or care what brand chemicals a wash uses. Use what works for you and don't worry about brand awareness, no one cares.
I would agree, unless you're marketing your wash with some national brand of chemicals. Even then I don't know if customers notice or even care.

I'm sure if you and your competitor are both using something like AP Formulators and neither one of you display that name for them anywhere, customers simply have no idea. They only care about results.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
40 years ago there seemed to be brand awareness and marketability . Today I think few people care but there are exceptions. If your area has a Nascar track you may have lot of gearheads who care. I think some brands like Rain X and Armor All have some value due to their marketing. I think if I have 2 vending machines side by sie, one with an Armor All or Rain X Product and the other with that does the same thing, and worls even better, the Armor All and Rain X will outsell many times over.

washnshine

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The Simoniz brand, although in many washes, is not a brand I see that much in the consumer line at stores. I remember seeing Simoniz a lot more at the consumer level decades ago. When I walk into a store, I see things like Turtle Wax, armor all, Meguiars etc. so I’m not even sure if there is a connection with what people see in stores with that brand.

Number one priority for me is always the performance/cost balance.

OurTown

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. The Simoniz brand, although in many washes, is not a brand I see that much in the consumer line at stores. I remember seeing Simoniz a lot more at the consumer level decades ago. When I walk into a store, I see things like Turtle Wax, armor all, Meguiars etc. so I’m not even sure if there is a connection with what people see in stores with that brand.

Number one priority for me is always the performance/cost balance.

The only people that I know that recognize the Simoniz name are "older". ;)

Last edited:

Roz

Reaction score
In one wash we market that our IBA features TurtleWax on our menu signs (that TW paid for). No customer has ever commented on the TW usage or seems care - but the TW chemicals cost us (2x) more per car than our other wash that uses another brand, a brand that consumers never heard of for sure. Car cleaning appears to be equivalent. This being said on the self-service side we switched from KR SS chemicals to JBS SS chemicals as the chemicals appear to have a better show and aroma at the same price point.

MC3033

Reaction score
Most customers do not know the name of the car wash they frequent. The overall brand image of the product or in this case chemicals are far more important. The name doesn’t matter as long as it looks professional