What's new

Check valves-Teflon or Viton

jprb

Reaction score
Is teflon tougher than viton, or does the chemical going through the check valve determine which should be used? (I'm looking at fluid controls check valves) Is the viton tough enough to withstand all chemicals.

Thanks,
JPRB

MEP001

Reaction score
The viton should withstand any chemical in a car wash, but I use the Teflon because it's a hard ring that won't ever split and come off. I've seen the Viton ones fail.

mjc3333

Reaction score
I switched to Teflon about 10 years ago. I was using Viton o-ringed check valves, but the valves over time would stick in either an open position or become stuck shut after so many years.

The Teflon is a harder material, and it does not split like Viton.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I've thought about teflon, but I wonder how well it does when it comes to sealing. Since it's such a hard material, I would think eventually you could develop leaks. However, if you've used them for 10yrs with no issues, maybe my concerns are unfounded?

MEP001

Reaction score
The Teflon ones seal completely. As long as no debris gets caught under the seal, the pressure keeps it smooth and flat so it seats well. I haven't had one fail yet.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I like the Teflon Fluid controls as well. They will seal fine with higher pressures, however, sometimes at low pressures they will seep a little bit. The one and only problem I have with the Fluid Control check valves is that after time the screw will unscrew from the poppet which obviously results in a failure. We still use them quite a bit and I am considering using locktight before their intial installation.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
I like the Teflon Fluid controls as well. They will seal fine with higher pressures, however, sometimes at low pressures they will seep a little bit. The one and only problem I have with the Fluid Control check valves is that after time the screw will unscrew from the poppet which obviously results in a failure. We still use them quite a bit and I am considering using locktight before their intial installation.
Thats how they fail with me also. Then depending on where the check valve was in the system, it goes downstream and plugs up in the first ell it finds and completely blocks flow.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
I'm going to install new check valves before winter and it sounds like the consensus is to go with Teflon. What is the average life span of one of these valves? My Viton ones don't seem to last very long at all.

MEP001

Reaction score
I've had the Fluid Controls Teflon valves in for about five years with no failures so far. A check valve will last as long as its weakest component. Since the Teflon seat ideally won't fail catastrophically, it should hold up a long time. I pulled some "flapper" check valves out of an old wash that had a Teflon seat on the flap, and despite 30 years of use they still had a positive seal.

Bubbles Galore

Reaction score
Kleen Rite has some terrible product descriptions...can someone toss me a part number for the fluid controls with the teflon seat? I don't want to get the wrong part and customer service only seems to be able to read the descriptions...Thanks!