What's new

Cheap in Texas

Etowah

MudMoney

Reaction score
My question is Why are ss bays in texas so low on start up in bays.Its a common theme on this site when it comes to what others are charging Texas is at the bottom.I've traveled in texas in the winter and always check out washes,pretty nice ones too.It seems 1/2 price to what the rest of us charge.I have tourist traveling to Glacier park thru my town remark about the high cost of IBA and SS wash prices. So is it that much cheaper to operate in texas ?

Alpine Dreams

Reaction score
My guess would be that in the south we don't have to worry about heated floors and other cold weather protections like that. This winter, I ran the weapers for only 3 nights and we don't even use any anti-freezing agent in the lines

I'm 45 minutes from Texas and 45 minutes from the Gulf of Mexico for comparison.

$1.50 for 3 minutes in SS bays and $1.25 for 4 minutes on vacuums.

We are going to increase prices in the middle of 2019. Probably $3.00 for 5 minutes for cash/$5.00 for 8.3 minutes on CC for SS bays and $2.00 for 6 minutes for vacuums.

MEP001

Reaction score
There's no state income tax in Texas. There's property tax, but it's low in some areas. Utilities are relatively cheap. So are people, and there's a lot of competition. SS went from competing with each other to competing with tunnels. There are still a lot of 50¢ to start washes. There are a lot of operators moving to operating a premium wash and charging a premium for it, but more are just trying to get what they can out of it without spending anything. A lot of those must be laundering money through them and don't care about the wash at all. Some of them I drive by frequently and they're always dry and empty but they're listed for sale at about twice what they're worth.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Cheap utilities, others don't wanna raise prices, no State income tax. However I thi k property taxes are pretty high. Also, LOTS of SS washes down here. Every town w/ 3000 or more pop has 2 SS carwashes.