What's new

Charge to customer question

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
A customer came in Saturday presenting their bank statement. There was a charge from my car wash name for $34. The customer admits to using the wash that day but says that they didn't spend that much money.

I checked my crypto pay portal and did not see any charge for that customer on that day. I cross referenced the amount, The customer name, and the last four digits of the credit card number. Nothing matched.

Then I checked my credit card processing company for my detail shop thinking that maybe they ran a charge there for some reason. That happens sometimes. Still no match.

How should I proceed? Tell the customer they need to pursue the matter with their bank because I have no record of receiving the funds?

Reaction score
If they used apple pay or something similar through their phone via tap, it uses a different card number from what is on their credit card to process the charge. I would check for any and all $34 charges that day and see if there is one close to the time the customer was at your facility? Just an idea.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
yes I did check for a $34 charge that day and one day before the statement date just in case. I didn't find anything that matched. They couldn't have used Apple Pay because I don't accept that in the self service bays Which is where they said they were. This is so weird…

CarWashBoy

Reaction score
Don't waste anymore of your VALUABLE time on it, ask the customer how much time they think they used, refund his/her money, make a happy ending and go on.. YOUR TIME IS VALUABLE for bigger and better things.

washnshine

Reaction score
A customer came in Saturday presenting their bank statement. There was a charge from my car wash name for $34. The customer admits to using the wash that day but says that they didn't spend that much money.

I checked my crypto pay portal and did not see any charge for that customer on that day. I cross referenced the amount, The customer name, and the last four digits of the credit card number. Nothing matched.

Then I checked my credit card processing company for my detail shop thinking that maybe they ran a charge there for some reason. That happens sometimes. Still no match.

How should I proceed? Tell the customer they need to pursue the matter with their bank because I have no record of receiving the funds?
Is there ANY chance that there is another business with a similar name - maybe even an online company with a similar name? I don’t know how your business name displays on statements, but sometimes they can be different. Also - is there a chance that the customer may have used another card and brought in the wrong card statement to you? That woold account for no record of it, but still would not explain the overcharge. I know these are obvious and might be long shots, but this is one of those mystery situations.
I think they have to contact the bank - if you have no record if the charge, you didn’t overcharge them. Also - if they did use your wash that day with that card and spent even just $10 - then you didn’t get your $10!

Weird situation. Let us know how it turns out.