What's new

Chain Speed In Relation to Tunnel Length and Type of Wash

hkim310

Reaction score
Trying to get an idea of what other washes are setting as their chain speed in relation to their tunnel length and type of wash:

How long is your tunnel?
What is your chain speed set in cars per hour?
What type of wash - Exterior Express, Flex, or Full Service

JustaGuy

Reaction score
Optimum chain speed is more a function of equipment package, chemicals, and types of soils more than length of tunnel and type of wash. That is, for any given equipment package, chemical mix, and predominant soils that need to be cleaned there is an optimal chain speed that produces an acceptably clean and dry vehicle. Faster speeds result in sub-optimal cleaning or drying, and slower speeds result in more chemical, water and electricity use.

Certainly, longer tunnels allow for equipment packages that are capable of higher chain speeds, and the type of wash can play a part if the wash type includes hand-drying (which can hide a multitude of sins and may be best considered a part of the "equipment package" if you will for this type of discussion), but ultimately how fast you can run the wash boils down to those three factors.

TEEBOX

Reaction score
120 Foot Tunnel Package
105 CPH
Exterior Express

I used to run it a 120 CPH but my wraparounds were completly missing the backs of vehicles. It would blow right by them. I'm adding a second pair of wraparounds in spring to solve this problem and help with less prepping.

hkim310

Reaction score
TEEBOX, what is your current equipment package for your wash tunnel?

John Logan

Reaction score
75' tunnel, front-wheel pull conveyor
speed at 110 CPH
We mainly have all macneil equipment -- wraps, sonics, high sides, top brushes
We try to flash dry the cars with our little space -- blasting the end with ~105HP with three arches of blowers. Spotfree rinse.

On a busy day we're washing 75-80 cars per hour consistently for 5-6 hours. I definitely think the quality might improve if we lowered the speed a bit (especially with our wraps hitting the backside of cars), but with our line backed up to the next business we focus more on getting cars through as quickly as possible.

California weather! :cool: