What's new

Chain and Roller life

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
How many cars are you express operators getting out of your chain and rollers?

I've got about 250K cars on my SC78 chain. The rollers are getting very sloppy and starting to jam occasionally.

Seems the popular concensus is to just replace the entire roller assembly and not try to just rebuild each one.

I guess I was thinking the chain and rollers would last longer.

How many cars are you guys getting?

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I have foun d rebuilding entiree rollers to not be cost effective. But depending on the type you have you might try what we do which is replace the bolt and bushing at the point the roller attaches to the chain. Tbis stops the twisting and get get you more life from the rollers.

Car count is only one factor in roller wear.

my2cents

Reaction score
Earl is right. other considerations in chain and roller wear include keeping the chain tight, keeping the pit clean and if you run 3'6" spacing vs. 7'4" spacing, the chain will wear a bit sooner due to added weight of more rollers. Asking how many cars out of any chain is much like asking how much does a hen weigh.
Characteristics of how the roller is designed and attached to the chain makes a difference in life of the roller as well. Some roller designs are better than others.

Axxlrod

Car Washer
Reaction score
I see. Thank for the input.

We do have 3'6" spacing with sonny's mid-profile rollers. Some rollers are worse than others, but most are wearing at the attachement bolt to the chain allowing teh rollers to move around sideways.

Anybody try any alternative rollers? I've seen some all plastic designs, but don't know anything about them.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
I was also thinking of "Running Time " versus pure car count as being a factor.

I have no Sonny's conveyors so no specific feedback. However I have now put in 2 AVW conveyors in the last couple of years with plastic rollers and I have been pleasantly surprised at how well they are holding up. Not long enough to be certain but I think they do at least as well as the metal bodies.

CRHAMEL

Reaction score
Check Kleen-rite, Dultmeier, Windtrax for rollers and chain. They pretty much have all the rollers styles sonnys makes... you will find your greatest $$ on roller purchases base on freight. Pending on the roller each can weight 10-16 lb... out of Florida seems to get pretty $$.
To get the maximum life out of your rollers make sure to have new sprockets that are aligned and make sure the take up drum ist too to tight or too loose ck the Mfg recommendation. Make sure to have a daily PM on the conveyor and Rollers and chain are no different than a bike chain (in theory) and keep track of the dirt in the pit.
Keep in mind the rollers and cain go through the most caustic environment you can imagine... make sure evey thing is straight and new and you should be OK!!

Mr. Clean

Reaction score
We switched to Vaughan Industries' rollers over two years ago. Quieter and less weight than steel. Less chain wear? It has still needed adjustment but it was five years old at the time so the wear had begun. SC 78 is a good chain, full 1/4" thick. Pain to adjust, but not the end of the world.

MC