What's new

cc vs shampoo/vac investment for 4 bay wash

hoyeman

Reaction score
I was thinking of adding a shampoo/vac combo to my wash then thought I might get some opinions of this vs adding cc acceptance in terms of which one would have a better return.

All opinions appreciated.

Thanks
David

MEP001

Reaction score
A shampoo/vac will almost certainly bring in more revenue than a credit card system. Credit card should help in the long run between more money spent and more customers attracted by the cashless design, but a well-placed and well-maintained shampoo/vac can make $500 a month by itself.

hoyeman

Reaction score
Hi Mep

where is well placed and where is not so well placed. I can always maintain something but have limitations to placement.

Thanks
David

MEP001

Reaction score
I hate vacuums in front of the bays since it can take away from their flow, but it seems to be the best place to have them for maximum income. Otherwise, it should be where the most traffic will see it.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Hoyeman I did both 3 yrs. ago.
If I had to make a choice I would do the credit card machines first.
They might not be as profitable at first but you're customer will love them.
How many shampoo/vacs are you looking to buy?
Why don't you buy 1-2 shampoo/vacs and the c.c. in the bays.

Randy

Reaction score
David, I think I?d put in the combo vac since your in such small town in Southern Oregon. My brother put in credit cards acceptance in the bays and he?s rather disappointed. But his new combo vac?s are smoke?n.

hoyeman

Reaction score
Randy,
I was thinking the small town aspect would be against me with the ccs. I do see alot of women washing and the women I hang out with never pay with cash.

JMMustang,
I have good vac coverage now in good condition. I was just looking to ad a sham/vac combo at a different location on the site. I was just thinking, from meps thread, that I might put it in the front landscaping area where cars can still get into the bays and drive bys can't miss it.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
I put the carpet shampoo/vacs on the perimeter of the entrance and exit keeping the entrance to the bays open.
The site is not the best, unusual lot size. So I didn't want to block the bays with people vacuuming.
I had to build the bays at an angle to fit the wash (5+1). The customers actually like it especially those towing boats.
My vac income is down (about 15%) compared to my other wash vacs that are in front of the bays (I built them in 1978 & 1980).
I bought 6 carpet/vac machines with bonus time. Not so sure it was the right decision though. Wished I bought 2-3 car./vacs and 2-3 mega vacs instead.
I have 1 mega vac at another wash and it does a lot better than my regular vacs.
But saying all that I believe that unless your in a very small market eventually a competitor will open up with credit card acceptors. I just think it's better to be the first with cc before anyone else.

Doug P.

Reaction score
I have 21 of the combo vacs, half from fragramatics and half from IVS. I also have 18 regular vacs. I have had regular vacs for 25 years and have had combo vacs for 8 years. I can't tell any difference in income between the reg vacs and the combo vacs. In my experience the combo vacs require much more maintenance over the long term than the regular vacs do.
I think credit card acceptance for an automatic is not optional it is a must have. I have credit card systems at three locations for my self serve bays(from Washgear-great company) . It is not a homerun but people do use it and it seems to be growing. Etowah valley Eq. has a new CC system out that seems pretty nice and also less expensive than most of the others. Etowah valley has also been a great company to deal with over the years.
I would choose a credit card system over the combo vac.

Doug P.

Bud

NE Ohio
Reaction score
Hoyeman, I have no idea about the CC vs Combos but I do know this: I have two washes in the same small town. Each wash is pretty much equipped the same. Each wash has one shampoo/vac & fragrance/vac. One has them located upon exit and the other at the entrance side away from the bays. At both locations they are VERY visible and at both locations you have to drive right by them. The ones at the exit side don't do SQUAT. They were a BIG aste of money. The other ones at the entrance side do GREAT, if this helps.

MEP001

Reaction score
Bud, how do bay numbers compare between the two washes? My big problem with vacs in front of the bays is that someone will pull up behind the only empty stall to vac/shampoo, then someone else has to wait. I see this happen a lot - they won't go around, and if they do the guy at the vac gets mad like he's reserved the bay by blocking it.