What's new

Cat versus hypro setup?

cap732000

Reaction score
I used to run cat pumps and thought they were indestructible and after I sold my wash and few years later bought another and another and another they all had hypro I have always been ok with hypro but seemed to have more issues and now there a lot higher than 310 cat what everyone opinion and changing from a 1725rpm to a 900rpm pump what would be the pulley setup???

Last edited:

soonermajic

Reaction score
Hypro is great, but no better & cost more. I've had each.

cmawash

Reaction score
I used to run cat pumps and thought they were indestructible and after I sold my wash and few years later bought another and another and another they all had hypro I have always been ok with hypro but seemed to have more issues and now there a lot higher than 310 cat what everyone opinion and changing from a 1725rpm to a 900rpm pump what would be the pulley setup???
cat piston pumps are great, not to happy with cat plunger pumps as they require more service and don't last as long

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Jeez, I'm just now having Cat warranty washed out heads on 5cps that are 18 years old- no complaints here.

Greg

Reaction score
1725 rpm / 900 rpm

Each pump valve opens & closes 28.75 times per second when pump rpm is 1725, by comparison
each pump valve opens & closes 15 times per second when pump rpm is 900.

Be mindful of "thermal transfer" from motor shaft thru pump shaft on direct drive.
Belt drive has no thermal transfer from motor shaft to pump shaft.

Stainless Steel valve cages provide protection from temperature.

Regarding pulley sizes, in most cases you will see roughly a 2:1 pulley ratio.
Example; when pump pulley is twice the diameter as the electric motor pulley, the pump turns at 1/2 rpm as what the electric motor turns.

Happy to help !
Greg @ Arimitsu Pumps