What's new

Cat pump oil revisit

sparkey

Reaction score
I have read the older forums where various operators said to use SAE30 oil in their cat pumps. When I read the cat pump oil bottle it says ISO68 "petroleum-based , hydraulic oil with advanced additive package to protect against wear, oxidation, rust and corrosion" So why wouldn't you just use ISO68 hydraulic oil? Am I missing something here? ISO68 oil is 20 weight oil to begin with not 30 weight. Not sure what the difference is between motor oil and hydraulic oil though. I thought hydraulic oil was designed not to mix with water and to let it settle to the bottom of the hydraulic tank which is what I would think you would want with a cat pump as well.

MEP001

Reaction score
I use ISO68 oil now, $40 for a two gallon jug from Tractor Supply. That's about half the cost of Cat oil in the 2-1/2 gallon jug, and no shipping.

Despite what it says on the bottle, there are no special additives in Cat oil that aren't in any ISO68 oil.

Non-detergent oil (ND-30W) does work fine in Cat pumps. Don't use regular motor oil, the seals can't handle the detergents.

mac

Reaction score
30W non detergent works just fine. Have been using it for years with no ill affects. It's available at all auto parts stores and is relatively cheap. Remember the old adage, any oil is better than no oil.