What's new

CAT 310 pump no pressure

stew_grif

Reaction score
hello all new here and I had a question about my pump.

my pump just recently lost pressure at the time I had it set to and running at 1200 psi and one day it lost pressure. When I start it up it runs fine but when you pull the trigger out in my bay it drops to 800 psi. I know it was my pump and not my regulators cause I changed my pump and the bay is fine now, running at 1200 psi.

My question is how do I fix the pump, do I change the valve kit or the seal kit. Or could something else cause the pump to lose pressure.

Also I was wondering if I could just get the seals seperately and change them those cause I think that would be the cheaper route, correct me if I'm wrong.

Anyway sorry for being so clueless cause I'm in the laundry business and finally made the jump to the car wash business.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
As much as I like Kleen-Rite I have to say this.
I just replaced a Cat pump today it was one of my last 30 yr. old pumps and just needed replacing.
I also replaced the bay hose (1/4 hose with 3/8 crimped on swivels) ends.
Turned on the pump and had about 400 psi. Rechecked everything. Couldn't find a problem.
Then my son said we better check the new bay hose.
One of the ends was almost crimped shut. Hardly any water was getting through the end.
Changed the "new" hose with another and the problem was resolved.
This is the 7th time it's happen in the last year and a half. Always with the crimped on swivel ends not with the regular ends.
Last year when it happen Kleen-Rite did replace all the hoses for free but it did cause us a lot of problems and time spent figuring out the problems.

stew_grif

Reaction score
jmmustang thx but i know its the pump for sure cause i changed the pump and everything is fine but its good to know cause I get a lot of my parts from them
my thing is i just want to repair it so I have a spare on had
all I know is that one day the old pump just had no pressure and now I know there might be something in the valve but I can't get the thing open to check I was wondering if I needed some speical tool or something

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
The collier that holds the seals in the housing has a slit in it. I use a large file that fits perfectly in that slot to remove it. Once all three colliers are removed the outer seals can be pulled out with a pick (some fall out). The rebuild kits aren't cheap. I think the last set cost me nearly $200.

MEP001

Reaction score

MEP001

Reaction score
JMMUSTANG said:
This is the 7th time it's happen in the last year and a half. Always with the crimped on swivel ends not with the regular ends.
I quit using Kleen-Rite for hoses for similar reasons. They either use the wrong fittings or make them the wrong length (usually too short). If they at least made 'em too long I could cut it and swage a new fitting on one end.

In fact, I'm phasing out Kleen-Rite as much as I can lately. They've gotten bad about sending wrong parts, backordering stuff or just plain dropping items on the floor between the shelf and the shipping box, so I get it damaged. Sure, they make it easy to get replacement stuff, but it's too much hassle for something that shouldn't have happened in the first place. I use Windtrax as much as I can now.

gohlman

Wash N Vac
Reaction score
Check the valves for o-rings falling apart. The breaking down of the o rings on the valves cause a by pass and loss of pressure. You should also have some pulsation with a o-ring problem. Also check for debris in a valve holding it open.

Ben's Car Wash

Conveyor & self service
Reaction score
The collier that holds the seals in the housing has a slit in it. I use a large file that fits perfectly in that slot to remove it. Once all three colliers are removed the outer seals can be pulled out with a pick (some fall out). The rebuild kits aren't cheap. I think the last set cost me nearly $200.
I ordered two sets last time and I think it included the valve kit too. Replace the seals first. I changed out one pump's seals which lasted 4 months until it lost pressure again... then I did the valves too. I found that this was fairly simple to do and took about 30 min. My pumps were from 1985. I upgraded last July to an new system. I'm still amazed that these pumps were still working.

The valve kit number from Sonny's is #30821 and is about $60

MEP001

Reaction score
The valves rarely go bad and don't need to be replaced. Only the o-rings and back-up rings are needed in most cases.

warshar

warshar
Reaction score
Today I had the exact same problem, this is the 2nd time, now i now the reason=blocked hose lines. Good info=thanks/

acbruno

Reaction score
Check one thing...

I had the exact thing happen...Exactly... and all it was was a worn spray nozzle. Just replace yours with a new one and see what happens.