What's new

Cat 310 low pressure and pulsating like crazy

Keno

Reaction score
Where should I start to troubleshoot? Probable causes of this issue? Have the bay closed because of too many complaints of low pressure.

Keno

Reaction score
I haven't changed anything, and don't really know where to start troubleshooting to narrow down the problem before throwing parts at the problem. I am a believer in diagnose, repair, verify from my time working on race cars

Zal

Reaction score
Not NASA. Just a pump with a relief valve. Put your hands on it while running. There are also check valves and water supply possibilities. Verify if you must-or have spare parts on hand. You'll make more money if your repairs are done in minutes not days I would put a relief valve on and go home.

Blanco

Reaction score
It sounds like your pump seals are bad. I would do a seal kit.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
First step when dealing with pulsation and low pressure is to remove and inspect all 6 valves.
A common issue will be broken or missing valve o-rings and backup rings...or, debris stuck in the valve.
Cat 310 O-ring part# 43358
Cat 310 Back Up ring part# 48361
If replacement valve o-rings only resolve the issue for a few days, the head is likely eroded and will need to be repaired or replaced.

Second step is to check for an air leak on the supply side of the pump...check for loose soap/wax fittings, cracked lines, loose hose clamps, etc.

Third step is to replace the seals with Cat 310 seal kit part #30623

(I'm guessing you have Cat 310 pumps?)

MEP001

Reaction score
Where should I start to troubleshoot? Probable causes of this issue? Have the bay closed because of too many complaints of low pressure.
You've started several threads on this same issue. If it's the same pump, stick with one thread and list everything you have tried. You've been given advice in each thread, and none of us who have tried to help have any idea what you've done.

Last edited:

Keno

Reaction score
First step when dealing with pulsation and low pressure is to remove and inspect all 6 valves.
A common issue will be broken or missing valve o-rings and backup rings...or, debris stuck in the valve.
If replacement valve o-rings only resolve the issue for a few days, the head is likely eroded and will need to be repaired or replaced.

Second step is to check for an air leak on the supply side of the pump...check for loose soap/wax fittings, cracked lines, loose hose clamps, etc.

Thank you for the starting point, will try checking these.
You've started several threads on this same issue. If it's the same pump, stick with one thread and list everything you have tried. You've been given advice in each thread, and none of us who have tried to help have any idea what you've done.
First thread I’ve started on this issue as the issue just started a couple days back. Maybe you are confusing me with another member

Keno

Reaction score
Yes they are cat 310 pumps

New Washdog

Reaction score

I would perform your second step first as its less invasive, less costly and less time consuming than working on the pump first.

MEP001

Reaction score
First thread I’ve started on this issue as the issue just started a couple days back. Maybe you are confusing me with another member
You're right, it was someone else with multiple threads on this same issue, I mixed yours in with his.

Toms PTcarwash

Reaction score
Take this as you wish, as a couple members on this site say I have no clue, even though i have had my wash for 20 years with very little down time on any bay.
For me it is a secondary business, to keep me busy on evenings and weekends. I have an electrical and mechanical contracting business as my income source.

I have all cat 310 pumps for my self-service bays. When I have pulsations, it has always been seals. I have replaced a total of 6 valves in 20 years. If you have a leaking high-pressure seal, if will cause pulsation as the high-pressure leaks into the low pressure. If the pulsation increases when the weep gun trigger is not pulled, you can bet this is the problem.
When you pull the seals and casings, you need to be sure the flat surface of the brass seal casing is completely smooth. You can use a scotch brite pad to clean the surface, but if there are any grooves, you need to replace the casing, or your seals will not last very long.
These pumps seem to be very tough, but if they starver for water, even for a few seconds, life is limited.

Best of luck to you!

Keno

Reaction score
Welp, found 3 holes in the pressure hose going to the bay, troubleshooting will continue after that is fixed. Original hose from 2005. Getting a hose made by a local hydraulic shop, unless any has any other suggestions

Keno

Reaction score
Hose was made at a local hydraulic shop for $120, I know expensive, but hose is replaced before the holiday weekend. Pressure returned to normal and pulsations reduced. Will let it run for a week or so and see if more troubleshooting required. Thanks all for the help

Keno

Reaction score
Pressure has come back after replacing the HP line to the bay, but the pulsations are still there. Wash was packed today so I wasn't about to take that bay offline to troubleshoot. Will troubleshoot tomorrow if it is slow, or Tues

SplashDash

Reaction score

Switched all my cats plunger pump out to a stainless steel pump from Daltmierer best thing I ever did.

Keno

Reaction score
Added another pulsating pump today, so 2 pumps were pulsating today - 1 had some debris in the valve, 1 had broken o-ring on a valve. The one with debris is totally fixed, no more pulsations. The one with the broken o-ring, I replaced the valve with a used one I found in the ER from the previous owner until I get my valves and o-rings in the mail from CWS. Still has a slight pulsation - better than it was, but a lot of those o-rings were looking deformed and in need of replacement. I checked the bores with a flash light while the valves were out - and they didn't seem to be washed out based on the pictures I saw on these forums from a previous thread. Isn't there a warranty on the heads from CAT?

Another revelation from today - there are 3x 310 pumps and 3x 5CP2120W pumps - the newer building has the 5CP2120W pumps. But I looked it up, looks like the valves and valve seals are the same. Please correct me if I am wrong.

MEP001

Reaction score
5CP2120W has a lifetime warranty on the original manifold. It has a raised "W" on the middle hump, and if it's been warranty replaced there will be an "R" stamped on one of the other two humps.

5CP2120W and 310 take the same valves, valve o-rings and backup rings, and the same low-pressure and high-pressure seals. If you want to stock only one seal kit, you can order some 13978 seal case o-rings which is the main service component missing from the 310 kit and use that kit for both. There's also a plunger seal in the 5CP2120W kit, but I never change them unless there's a sign of the piston bolt leaking or I need to change the piston oil seals.