What's new

Car wash accident

minhthu2017

Reaction score
Here is the situation.
I was at a drive through car wash.
As my car is going through the car wash and am nearing the exit, the car in front of me on the conveyor belt stops.
I honk and brake but it is too late. The conveyor belt carries me forward and our cars make contact.
Next, the car wash people stopped the conveyor because they heard my car horn.
When the conveyor stopped, the driver in front of me put her car into drive and pulled forward and out the exit.
I talked to the car wash people and then exited the car wash when the line is restarted.
When I got out I checked my car. No damage.
The women who I hit is also pulled over and checking her car. Her car is damaged though you really can't tell if it just happened or if it was already there.
We then go talk to the manager. He comes out and inspects the vehicles and the damage.
He acknowledges the damage and then says that he'd be happy to call the police. He also says that there won't be any tickets due to it being private property. He also says that the claim would most likely go against me because I hit her from behind.

This just astounds me.
I realize that when you hit someone from behind on the street, you are at fault.
But in this situation, the only way it could have been caused by me would be if I put my car into drive and hit the gas. That certainly didn't happen.
There are a lot of different reasons why the car in front of me stopped and none of them were caused by my actions.
Is it really true that I would be considered 'at fault' in this situation?
Doesn't the car wash bear some of the burden as they were responsible for the placement of the cars on the conveyor?
Doesn't the front car have some responsibility?

(The woman in the front car elected to let it go after she learned I would be considered at fault. The car wash did offer reimbursement for the cost of touch up paint and even offered to put it on for her. She accepted that offer)

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you were on an escalator at a department store / airport or one of those moving sidewalks and a person in front did not move out of the way when they got to the end and you hit them would it be the escalator's / store's / airport's fault? Of course not. Would it be your fault? - Of course not. As far as the wash being responsible for placement of cars on conveyor - that would be a no. Cars travel at fixed intervals and move at less than 1 MPH. - Like the escalator. Unless someone thinks it reasonable to wash cars one at a time there is no responsibility to change this.

br549ms

Reaction score
This could happen, the driver who stopped is at fault. This thread sounds like a lead-in for DRBs tunnel watch?

JustaGuy

Reaction score
The liability should be on the person operating the vehicle that stopped. The following vehicle is under control of the conveyor and should have no liability. As to the wash operator, on the one hand, they didn't cause the incident so they shouldn't be held liabe, but it is pretty standard in the industry to have some kind of tunnel exit anti-collision system to prevent just this kind of problem.

JAGraff

Reaction score
This could happen, the driver who stopped is at fault. This thread sounds like a lead-in for DRBs tunnel watch?
There is anti-collision with TunnelWatch, but NoPileups by DRB Systems is the best way to prevent these types of accidents. Knowing what I know now (and having almost been in a tunnel collision myself), I'm reluctant to go to a car wash that doesn't use NoPileups.

br549ms

Reaction score
OK, since most tunnels don't use either of them, you will be limited. Tunnels have an exit sensor to shut down the tunnel if a car sits at the exit (mostly on the phone), some have a sensor somewhere in the middle to ensure things age going smooth. The driver has the responsibility to pay attention, stay in Neutral, hands off wheel and no brakes like the lighted sings that the attendant pointed to.

DPX22

Reaction score
There is anti-collision with TunnelWatch, but NoPileups by DRB Systems is the best way to prevent these types of accidents. Knowing what I know now (and having almost been in a tunnel collision myself), I'm reluctant to go to a car wash that doesn't use NoPileups.
You almost sound like a DRB sales rep. lol.

JAGraff

Reaction score
Well, full disclosure, I do work for them, but not a sales rep. Dead serious about not wanting to go to a wash that doesn't have NPU. I had no idea until I worked here that those types of things even happened!

MC3033

Reaction score
No Pile Ups seems like a really cool product. The cost on it is ridiculously high (I believe $500/mo). Other issue is that you have to have enough space between the cars for a roller to be jumped and the cars not hit, obviously it cannot stop till a roller is jumped. You need at least 10’ between first and last roller.

Really cool product but it would never pay for itself directly.

JAGraff

Reaction score
Obviously, it depends on each individual wash's situation, but on average, our customers are seeing 4-5x ROI each month. If you would like to talk with someone about how that all works out, I'd be happy to put you in contact.

MC3033

Reaction score
Obviously, it depends on each individual wash's situation, but on average, our customers are seeing 4-5x ROI each month. If you would like to talk with someone about how that all works out, I'd be happy to put you in contact.
Appreciate the offer but I’ve looked into it and have a good understanding.

At $500/mo that means the wash was previously paying out $6k annually in collision related payouts. That of course doesn’t factor in the upfront costs of the system and any sort of repairs to the system in the future.

Maybe with all the new investor style operators in the business they don’t know what they are doing and are paying out tons in claims from equipment/personnel related mistakes.

For a well operated express you should be able to do over 300k cars per year without getting an roi on that type of system. That would also be with having a rather liberal approach in paying out customer caused claims.

Of course one big freak accident that costs $10k could make it worth while.

Just my opinions

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Dead serious about not wanting to go to a wash that doesn't have NPU.
Since most of my contact albeit rare has nothing to do with not losing rollers but the back car being in drive or occasionally the front car being in reverse, something NPU has no effect on, I can't help but wonder if this rare occurrence concerns you, do you also stay inside during thunderstorms.

JAGraff

Reaction score
Appreciate the offer but I’ve looked into it and have a good understanding.

At $500/mo that means the wash was previously paying out $6k annually in collision related payouts. That of course doesn’t factor in the upfront costs of the system and any sort of repairs to the system in the future.

Maybe with all the new investor style operators in the business they don’t know what they are doing and are paying out tons in claims from equipment/personnel related mistakes.

For a well operated express you should be able to do over 300k cars per year without getting an roi on that type of system. That would also be with having a rather liberal approach in paying out customer caused claims.

Of course one big freak accident that costs $10k could make it worth while.

Just my opinions
Understood. Let me know if you ever want to take a closer look.