What's new

can you add SFR & NOT add soft water?

soonermajic

Reaction score
Can I add SFR for my 5 SS bays & 1 IBA, & NOT add a soft water system in front of it?

Eric H

Reaction score
Before you get too deep into your research...How many grains of hardness is yourwater and what is the TDS?
I don’t have a softener or a RO system. I have very soft water (don’t recall the Grains). And my TDS is between 40-50, mostly because of Magnesium. I would like to get the TDS lower but the results do not justify the cost.

I have considered a de-ionization (DI) system but haven’t done the research.

koliver

PDQ Sales Engineer
Reaction score
As Eric mentioned, how hard is your water? There are companies out there that make a RO System that doesn't require a water softener, however I believe once you get above 25 grains they suggest you use one. Carolina Pride and Pur Clean are companies that I recall making such a system.

Jeff_L

Reaction score
I like my tds to be 20 or less. Anything more I start investigating.

MEP001

Reaction score
You can add a softener for just the supply to the RO system for a whole lot less than one for the entire wash.

slash007

Reaction score
The size of the softener is based on how much water you will run through it. If only using it for the spot free system, you could just buy a small system and run it to the chlorine tank then sf system.