What's new

Cameras

Wet Spot

Reaction score
What’s a good priced camera system,and is there anything similar to a ring system to activate a siren noise or speak via pa. Not really looking at 10 or so ring cameras, and really just starting my research, I love the ring cameras for home, just not sure about wash

Jeff_L

Reaction score
Prices are all over the place for camera systems. Expect whatever you put out to get weathered and go bad after some period of time. Even if they are in a bay, or under an overhang, the elements will get to them. Maybe not direct rain, snow or ice, but the humidity, heat and cold can impact them as well.

The longest cameras I have had running are the cheap systems from Costco, I think Lorex brand. My suggestion would be to just get that cheap system, easy on the pocketbook and work just fine.

As for mic/speaker, I don't incorporate that in my washes, but would be neat to tell the guy to quit peeing in the bay!

Car_Wash_Guy

Reaction score
I built my own system. Cost me about $6,000 doing it myself. I have quotes from $10,000+. I wanted to have the ability to pull a plate at any time of the day/night and pretty much anywhere on my premises.

This is a VERY capable system and would be the least I'd even consider concerning a security system, installed new....

https://www.lorextechnology.com/4k-...th-8-outdoor-4k-8mp-ip-cameras/4KHDIP168i-1-p

ETA:

I'm going to be buying one and using 4 cameras per arch on my IBA as an inspection arch.

washman2016

Reaction score
I built my own system. Cost me about $6,000 doing it myself. I have quotes from $10,000+. I wanted to have the ability to pull a plate at any time of the day/night and pretty much anywhere on my premises.

This is a VERY capable system and would be the least I'd even consider concerning a security system, installed new....

https://www.lorextechnology.com/4k-...th-8-outdoor-4k-8mp-ip-cameras/4KHDIP168i-1-p

ETA:

I'm going to be buying one and using 4 cameras per arch on my IBA as an inspection arch.
I use this Lorex system. It works GREAT but uses a lot of bandwidth on my internet.

OurTown

Reaction score
Our Lorex camera system is 2K and when remotely viewing on high quality mode it can get a tiny bit choppy. I think our wash's internet upload speed is around 10 mbps so that is something to consider.

chaz

Reaction score
Most systems allow connecting to PA system and allow for audio as well. I talk through my iPad and listen back with my iPhone .

I actually installed a ring on my ACW. Real happy with the results...allows customers to ring with issues. So far hasn’t been abused. The video is so clear I can actually see the type of bills being inserted and if customer has card inserted correctly.

Randy

Reaction score
Those are nice cameras, only problem is you can push them up out of the way. You want to use a ball camera.

OurTown

Reaction score
I don't know how the quality compares, and I'm pretty sure it doesn't have a PA, but there's a similar system at Sam's Club that's 16 channel with 12 cameras for $549.

The hard drive is only 2TB and the cameras are closer to 2.5K. We have 2K cameras (and 8TB HD) and are not bad quality. The police always comment on how clear it is but sometimes you just can't see some details.

Alpine Dreams

Reaction score

Rfreeman

Reaction score
I just installed this same system but with 16 channels...8 bullet cameras 8 dome cameras....best thing I've done yet! All of them zoom but the bullet cameras seem to zoom a little further out. Get this system you won't be disappointed, easy to setup at the site and the app. One caveat when plugging the camera into the port make sure it's in the slot you want to have it in (shout out to GhettoWash for this tip) bc the cameras sync to the port and in order to change ports its bit of a struggle but tech support helped out remotely.

Alpine Dreams

Reaction score
...One caveat when plugging the camera into the port make sure it's in the slot you want to have it in (shout out to GhettoWash for this tip) bc the cameras sync to the port and in order to change ports its bit of a struggle but tech support helped out remotely.
This is some time-saving knowledge right here. My cousin had to call tech support to switch a channel. Good to know that I need to make sure to place it first where I want it so it can sync properly. Thank you.

I think when the weather cools I will find the time to get another camera system. I have one now and rarely does it leave me wanting more, like when it doesn't get a plate after someone damages my awning, but it does happen.

OurTown

Reaction score
How many days of recording can you guys get with 4K? (and how many cameras on what size HD?)

Sequoia

AKA Duane H- 3 bay SS
Reaction score
The difficult I have with cameras is slow internet. Most of my viewing (nearly all) is remote using DSL.

For a 2 minute video of a trash dumper, It takes 10 minutes or so to download a single video stream from a single camera. Easily a couple of hours to download and record the video streams from vehicle entry, dumping, and vehicle exit.

This is for old analog cameras, using MPEG format. If it was 4K I'm not sure it would be workable for me, given the large file size. If was was on-site with the DVR that would be great. But most of the time I need to do it remotely.

pgrzes

Reaction score
I have a 2k ip Lorex system and its great. I can pull in tag numbers from multiple locations at my wash. A user on another wash site recommends not getting 16 channel systems, but get multiple 8 camera systems. With the higher quality cameras the bandwidth just gets to be too much, plus recording time gets diminished. Also watch out, at Sams, Bj's and Costco, they have pretty nice systems at attractive prices, but I have noticed that the systems they sell use coax/siamese cable. You really want to get the cat cable. With the cat5/6 you dont need to have the power adapters for the cameras, and the cat wire is easier to work with once you get the tool and learn how to crimp the ends.

OurTown

Reaction score
Also watch out, at Sams, Bj's and Costco, they have pretty nice systems at attractive prices, but I have noticed that the systems they sell use coax/siamese cable. You really want to get the cat cable. With the cat5/6 you dont need to have the power adapters for the cameras, and the cat wire is easier to work with once you get the tool and learn how to crimp the ends.

Yes look for POE cameras. (power over ethernet)

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
We had an incident on Sunday afternoon. This time the Wyze 360° with audio & SD card was the ticket. Not sure how moisture resistant they can be made to be though.

JMMUSTANG

car wash owner
Reaction score
Love my Wyze camera. Installed it in my vending machine on the top shelf.
The changer is next to the vending machine and people see the camera track them as the walk by and wave at it.
I’ve had a lot of customers ask about it and wants to know where to get them.

soapy

Reaction score
I bought a Lorex 2K system for my house about a year ago and finally got around to installing it. Turns out unless I also buy a router and hook it up through the internet the DVR will not work. I just wanted a simple system to record things outside the house. It won't even show video until I get the router and download the latest software.