What's new

Camera update

soapy

Reaction score
I purchased some of the new HD camera systems along with many others here on the Black Friday sales last year. I bought 2 swann 1080p 8 camera systems from Sam's and 1 Lorex 16 camera capable 1080 HD with 8 ball cameras and 4 motorized varifocus cameras from Lorex. I never did get the 4 motorized cameras from Lorex even after months of trying to get them to complete my shipment. Now that I have installed what I did get of my Lorex products I have come across a few problems. No owners manual and have not been able to download one from Lorex. I specifically cannot figure out how to block out certain areas of a camera so it won't record things like tree limbs moving. 2. I cannot find out how to enlarge certain areas of a picture that has been captured. Both of these features are available on the SWANN system and I think the Swann system has a better picture quality. For those who purchased a LOrex system have you figured out how to zoom and block out motion areas of a picture?

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
Put your mouse on the top edge of the screen in the center. A drop down menu will appear with about four options. One of them is zoom. You can also zoom by just clicking on the picture, hold down the button on the mouse and move the mouse to another location and a box will appear over what you want zoomed.

As far as not sensing tree limbs blowing that is easy also - I just don't remember how I got there. I think its something like selecting setup then motion. When you eventually find it the screen will change colors with the screen divided up into a couple hundred little squares. Click on the squares until it changes color. I think three different levels of motion sense are available (3 colors). Motion sensitivity is user defined. I only use two, very motion sensitive and no motion sense. Sorry I'm not more help on how to do it - I just figured it out as I went and I've slept since then.

I purchased two 16 cam systems on the Black Friday deal and purchased a 12 camera system a couple months later. I've had one cam go bad and Lorex was very prompt with a warranty replacement. Just this week a DVR went bad. Lorex walked me through trouble shooting and determined that the DVR is fine, the hard drive is bad. Again they were very prompt with a warranty replacement - I should get it within the next couple days.

I've got these three systems at three different washes and so far (about six months) I've got 4 arrest warrants issued as a direct result of the quality video.

I'll buy another system or two if there is another Black Friday deal next year - I paid more for the 12 cam system than I did for my Black Friday 16 cam systems.

soapy

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I did figure out how to block certain areas of the picture for motion activation right after posting. I will try your suggestions for zooming. While poking around the internet I found the 16 camera system from Lorex from another vendor for $644 but they were sold out and indicated that it has now been discontinued.

BBE

Reaction score
I have a lorex 12-16 camera system at each of my locations and I too have been very happy with them, and also the customer service. I've only had one camera go bad, and honestly it was because it's mounted a bit too low and eventually the presoak got to the cables and corroded them, but anyways....lorex was very prompt with a replacement unit for me as well.

soapy

Reaction score
I just found a Costco ad that has a 3 megapixel lorex 8 camera system for $699 if anyone is looking to buy now.