What's new

Camera cable length

Etowah

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
I have an 8 camera Lorex system that uses BNC cables. The 2 farthest cameras are almost 300 feet from the base. They have lower resolution and one of them goes out intermittently. I've been told that there could be too much voltage drop over that length of cable. Lorex supplies one 12 volt power supply for each camera.
I'm wondering if I could buy a variable power supply and increase the voltage some. Has anyone dealt with this?
Keith

mac

Reaction score
I would check with tech support from Lorex. Chances are they have dealt with this before.

chaz

Reaction score
I had a similar situation....though not as long of a run. I solved the issue by connecting the power transformer for the camera in question to an outlet much closer to the camera. Not sure if u have power closer....but that would likely solve the issue. Obviously the video portion of the cable will still connect at the DVR. Let us Know if that works!

Randy

Reaction score
I had the same problem a while back, the camera would intermittently go dark. I ended up having to redo the ends on the cable and the problem was solved.

Keith Baker

Keith Baker
Reaction score
I had a similar situation....though not as long of a run. I solved the issue by connecting the power transformer for the camera in question to an outlet much closer to the camera. Not sure if u have power closer....but that would likely solve the issue. Obviously the video portion of the cable will still connect at the DVR. Let us Know if that works!
Thanks Chaz:
I think I can tap some power just before the cables leave the building. It would cut about 30 feet off of the 12 volt circuit. I'll let you know when I try it, probably next week.

Etowah

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
If you use the cable Lorex supplies you might get better results with better cables.

Roz

Reaction score
I have been experiencing the same issue with my new Lorex 16x 4K-camera system. It has been a frustrating time getting it resolved. Lorex tech support has tried to help by remotely connecting to my system several times, has supplied us with written suggestions to try, and replaced the same camera (#16 installed) 3 times. They are equally perplexed as to the issue and how to resolve. Given some of the error messages I think the NVR is the issue and is not able to support the number of cameras installed with the necessary power. We even replaced the NVR in an attempt to resolve the problem.

Two cameras are PTZ with their own power source to each camera, 14 are POE powered via the CAT cable they supplied. Longest cable length is 100' (2), most (14) are the normal 60' length. One PTZ camera goes offline a few times each day for 2-5 minutes and then comes back. The 16th camera just dies after 2-3 days of use (after being replaced). The power admin page looks normal across all cameras.

I think that the Lorex system designers need to look into their NVR design for the solution...

Last edited:
Etowah