What's new

Bugs on front end

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
Any ideas on a better job of cleaning bugs off front ends? We are right off the highway and the bugs are baked on. We have prep guns with bug goo and we try and presoak as best as we can, but still get customer complaints. We do not want to get into the detailing business. Thanks

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Any ideas on a better job of cleaning bugs off front ends? We are right off the highway and the bugs are baked on. We have prep guns with bug goo and we try and presoak as best as we can, but still get customer complaints. We do not want to get into the detailing business. Thanks
I think dwell time is the only real savior unless you have guys with brushes for prepping as well. As discussed on the forum, and this is highly dependant on layout, some have systems to hit the car with a prep solution before they get to the loading area.

I have similar issues with baked on Bird goop. If it doesn't come off in the wash process it seems like it needs 5-10 minutes of soaking to come off easily.

Reaction score
What chemical is the bug solution? I wonder how strong it is... I think using a good bug chemical (LP wand), then hit the eyebrows and other needed prepping areas with your HP gun and then come back to the bugged areas and hit them, then send the car.

Chiefs

Reaction score
To begin with we are blessed given the fact we employ a front wheel pull conveyor
(150') and yet are setup like a rear wheel push in that our prep area is totally enlcosed at the beginning and we have 23' to the first arch (pre-soak).

That said, we deal with bugs in three ways. First at the entrance we have coil hoses hooked up to a pre-soak/bug off pump station, These coil hoses allow us to actually apply the bug solution (our alakline pre-soak Eqalizer-Red) to the front end, windshield and backs od side mirrors before trhe car even enters the tunnel. As the vehicle enters the tunnel it trips a bell hose which automatically activates the forks and calls up a roller to begin the wash cycle. At the same time, we brush the front end, windshield and backs of mirrors with hogs hair brushes. If this doesn't finish the job of bug removal, we still have time to employ our 10 HP prep guns to the front as the vehicle is moving down the track.

Once in a while we'll have a re-wash for bugs, but more than likely its not because the 3 step process failed but because an employee failed to follow the process. In any event, due to our space availability, even this degree of prepping for bugs does not slow down our line. Its when prepping slows down your ability to process cars that you end up with huge gaps between vehicles on the the line. Then what many operators are inclined to do is because of the gaps is to turn up the line speed to maintain hourly wash volume - OK if you're setup to wash, rinse and dry at a faster conveyor speed, but disastrous in terms of quality if you are not.

Bugs are a lot like cleaning dirty dished left in the sink overnite - soap and a little dwell time followed by a sponge or cleaning pad. As car wash operators, we just have to use better soap and have the advantage of high pressure before the car goes into the wash process.

Reaction score
To begin with we are blessed given the fact we employ a front wheel pull conveyor
(150') and yet are setup like a rear wheel push in that our prep area is totally enlcosed at the beginning and we have 23' to the first arch (pre-soak).

That said, we deal with bugs in three ways. First at the entrance we have coil hoses hooked up to a pre-soak/bug off pump station, These coil hoses allow us to actually apply the bug solution (our alakline pre-soak Eqalizer-Red) to the front end, windshield and backs od side mirrors before trhe car even enters the tunnel. As the vehicle enters the tunnel it trips a bell hose which automatically activates the forks and calls up a roller to begin the wash cycle. At the same time, we brush the front end, windshield and backs of mirrors with hogs hair brushes. If this doesn't finish the job of bug removal, we still have time to employ our 10 HP prep guns to the front as the vehicle is moving down the track.

Once in a while we'll have a re-wash for bugs, but more than likely its not because the 3 step process failed but because an employee failed to follow the process. In any event, due to our space availability, even this degree of prepping for bugs does not slow down our line. Its when prepping slows down your ability to process cars that you end up with huge gaps between vehicles on the the line. Then what many operators are inclined to do is because of the gaps is to turn up the line speed to maintain hourly wash volume - OK if you're setup to wash, rinse and dry at a faster conveyor speed, but disastrous in terms of quality if you are not.

Bugs are a lot like cleaning dirty dished left in the sink overnite - soap and a little dwell time followed by a sponge or cleaning pad. As car wash operators, we just have to use better soap and have the advantage of high pressure before the car goes into the wash process.
Sounds like a good process to me. But I think you hit it on the head by mentioning that you have to use a chemical/soap that is of adequate strength and quality, though it may cost you a litte extra, that little extra will be paid over ten fold.

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
Three years later - revisiting the topic. So we have good dwell time and we have good chemical. We even have some good employees that folow our procedure. The new questions is, on your loqwest package, do you treat the bug issue the same as on a top package? We advertise bug chemical on our top three packages but not on our basic, yet our customers expect the bugs to be gone. We do high pressure prep the basic.

The reality is, it is not that much more costly to treat the basic wash the same as the others for bugs, but then how do you drive traffic up to the next package?

JustClean

Reaction score
Three years later - revisiting the topic. So we have good dwell time and we have good chemical. We even have some good employees that folow our procedure. The new questions is, on your loqwest package, do you treat the bug issue the same as on a top package? We advertise bug chemical on our top three packages but not on our basic, yet our customers expect the bugs to be gone. We do high pressure prep the basic.

The reality is, it is not that much more costly to treat the basic wash the same as the others for bugs, but then how do you drive traffic up to the next package?
I wouldn't. That's just a basic wash. If they need more strength against the bugs they have to pay more. Easy. Just suggest next time to go for a higher wash. You get what you pay for.

carnut2

Express Exterior
Reaction score
We are doing a similar signage on our pump toppers. I had a "conversation" with a customer yesterday. Guy gets a six dollar wash. I high pressure wash his grill, windshiels and back of car. push the button. He shoots out of the exit and right back in to the auto sentry lane whistling and yelling that i didn't get the buigs off. So I say sir you chose the 6 dollar basic wash. We use our bug removal chemical on our top three packages. He is angry and saays is that posted anywhere? And I said yes sir our menu signs say what wervices are offered on each package. I'd be happy to rewash you this time but for better bug removal I would suggest a top package. After he gunned it in reverse and told me he was going to a competitor I tried to evaluate the experience. I don't think he was worried about bugs because he never even looked at his car or got out of his car. What he noticed was one of two things. We had been spraying ALL cars with bug remover even though it was not advertised and/or many of my staff will scrub and clean every car no matter the package. So i think he was less worried about bugs and more worried about his lack of "service/attention" So I guess my customers expect the moon for a $6 wash. Although I should say my average car price pushes past 8.50

Etowah