What's new

Better way to lock JC oval vacs with the large doors?

slash007

Reaction score
3 days ago some homeless guys decided digging through the trash was not enough and broke the locks on my JC vacs to get to the trash. The next night they enjoyed the $3 they found so much that they decided to break the other 5 locks. Granted, they are not hard to break, but they have worked as a good deterrent in the past. I left them as is and last night they came back and had a field day digging through all the gold in the vacuums. If they would shut the doors when finished, I actually wouldn't care to much, but I can't be there every morning before the first customer comes in and ensure the doors are closed. I just replaced 2 of the locks today as as test to see if they will break those again tonight, but was wondering if there was a more secure way to lock them? Now they are just using simple cam locks and they use a crow bar and break the nut off to get in.

Thanks.

MEP001

Reaction score
I'm going to take some pieces of 1 1/2" stainless angle I have and cut some pieces for hasps. I'll need to cut a slot in the door for the tab to come through, then I'll put a disk padlock on the outside. I'll try to get one cut, drilled, and mounted in the next couple days so I can take pictures. Drilling 1/4" thick stainless angle is really hard...

slash007

Reaction score
I'm going to take some pieces of 1 1/2" stainless angle I have and cut some pieces for hasps. I'll need to cut a slot in the door for the tab to come through, then I'll put a disk padlock on the outside. I'll try to get one cut, drilled, and mounted in the next couple days so I can take pictures. Drilling 1/4" thick stainless angle is really hard...
Sounds like that might work. Looking forward to the pics!

KleanRide

Reaction score
I locked all my vacs a year ago with these flexible hasps and Abus disc locks. They bend around the curve of the machine and are somewhat heavy duty. So far no break-ins, but none of my night lizards seem to carry crow bars (yet).

Attachments

Etowah

Randy

Reaction score
The problem with locking up the vac doors so they are real secure is they'll pry open the door on the hinge side of the door with a pry bar, been there and done that. We clean out the vac's every afternoon, it's kind of a PITA, but it's helped stop them from getting into the vac's.

slash007

Reaction score
The problem with locking up the vac doors so they are real secure is they'll pry open the door on the hinge side of the door with a pry bar, been there and done that. We clean out the vac's every afternoon, it's kind of a PITA, but it's helped stop them from getting into the vac's.
I agree. Would much rather they just break the lock.

soonermajic

Reaction score
We put regular Master Locks on ours. They cut em
We put good SS Abus locks. They pried off the hinges &/or clasps!!
Now, no locks, no damage. PITA to clean up after those lowlife P0S's though!!😡