What's new

Best hose to use for FB from boom to trough?

slash007

Reaction score
I need to replace the hose that goes from my FB boom to the trough in the attic and was wondering what the best hose to use is? It currently has what seems to be 1/2" blue hose that is 12' long, but I can't seem to find 1/2" hose at Kleen Rite. I use the 3/8 FB hose assemblies from them for the connection between the boom and brush itself.

Thanks.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Slash....I use 3/8 poly from the boom tip to the trough. I use all SMC push connect fittings. CB80 recommended that to me when I upgraded all my lp systems. I really like the ease of use. Plus it works perfectly. Foam will get to the brush a lot faster with 3/8. But you need your foam generators in the trough just above the boom for this to work.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Use bushings to go from 1/2" to 3/8" and either make order 3/8" HP assemblies. I don't think it needs to be 1/2" if the rest is 3/8" since you can't put 1/2 lb in 3/8 lb sack.

MEP001

Reaction score

lag

Reaction score
Like 2Biz and others we use 3/8th poly. Haven't had any issues I can remember.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
So the 3/8 poly turns and twists with the boom? Any wear issues at that point in the line?

slash007

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. If I use the 3/8 poly, do I have to add a foam generator? I currently don't have one anywhere in the line that I know of. The setup is 3/8 poly to the trough up until the bay, then 1/2 blue hose from the trough to the boom, then 3/8 from the boom to brush.

Thanks.

MEP001

Reaction score
I would recommend a foam generator, preferably something that won't clog easily. You can just use a tee, but you'll get more foam with less chemical using a foamer.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
So the 3/8 poly turns and twists with the boom? Any wear issues at that point in the line?
The hose from thetrough to the boom does not twist and turn. The boom has swivel fittings to prevent this.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Thanks for the suggestions guys. If I use the 3/8 poly, do I have to add a foam generator? I currently don't have one anywhere in the line that I know of. The setup is 3/8 poly to the trough up until the bay, then 1/2 blue hose from the trough to the boom, then 3/8 from the boom to brush.

Thanks.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KlRMAQnwIPw

IMO Foam generators are not needed. Hoses "T" above bay. 30' of mixing from the trough thru the hose, handle and brush head gives plenty of time to mix.

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
My 3/8 poly tubing doesn't have any unions or elbows from the trough to the boom tip. It just flexes with the boom movement. No issues in over 2 years. I do slice a piece of 1/2 inch clear tubing, like I use on the hydrominder, and make a sleeve where it goes up into the ceiling. This helps protect the poly tubing. I even have the black poly outside in my uncovered truck bay. No issues there either.

Kevin James

Reaction score
We’ve got both 3/8” rubber hose and 3/8” poly tubing. We have far less problems with the 3/8" rubber hose than with the poly tubing. After about 5 years the poly gets brittle and will break, at least that’s been our experience. We don’t use foam generators and the foam comes out almost like shaving cream, I like to keep it a little on the runny side.

Ric

Cantree Member
Reaction score
We use 3/8 high pressure hose. It lasts forever. In the event of a freeze up it won't crack and is easy to heat up with a hand held torch.