What's new

Back flow problem

wendy's wash

Reaction score
Had a plumbing company install a backflow about 10 to 15 years ago. Had no problems with it until the city came out and said they need to replace my meter. They had to go inside the store room to bleed air out of the valve because they said it would mess up the valve if they did not. Lo and behold valve started dripping. My plumber that was there said there could be Debris in our line so I should wait to see if it stopped. Did not stop. Plumber said the seats could not be replaced and were pitted. So I had to replace the valve with a new one that would cost $1450 with permit. Installed new valve within a day later it started dripping just as much as the old one. Now his excuse for why the new one is leaking was one of three causes. Debris in the valve, bad valve, and kickback pressure, After explaining how my tanks feed the pumps that cause was eliminated. He's constantly push in debris in the valve every time it leaks which is not under any kind of warranty. It's as if he doesn't want to go with bad valve. Currently the valve is out as the inspector said it should've been put outside at the meter. Plumber should have known the city requires it to be out there. What should I do. Thanks

kentadel

Reaction score
The original valve was in the wrong position inside the building? If so it will be difficult to get the plumber to stand that cost as he replaced it where the original one was. As far as the new valve, it should surely have some type of warranty?

soapy

Reaction score
Backflow valves will leak when they are properly working. Some leak more than others as they balance pressures. I usually setup a bucket or similar to catch the drips and then run the water to a drain. Some of my location drip a lot and other very little.

I.B. Washincars

Car Washer Emeritus
Reaction score
Backflow valves will leak when they are properly working. Some leak more than others as they balance pressures. I usually setup a bucket or similar to catch the drips and then run the water to a drain. Some of my location drip a lot and other very little.
I agree, pretty much the nature of the beast. If it's not a lot, just deal with it as Soapy does and move on. Counting on backflow preventers to not leak is a battle you most likely will lose.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
IIRC I have opened mine on several occasions and found debris. Stopped leaking when debris cleaned out.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
Well, it's good to know mine is not the only one that leaks. Mine leaks sporadically. At one wash we are required to annually inspect it. The inspector said leaking is not an issue as long as it passes the test.

water guy

Reaction score
I attached an old water hose to a 5 gallon bucket and run it in a drain.

Randy

Reaction score
When I was a young man I was state certified to install & test backflow RPZ devices. A properly installed and maintained backflow RPZ should not leak out of the vent. The best one I found is the Wilkins 975XL2. They have stainless steel seats and will last almost forever. The 975 that I have installed is over 20 years old. I've gotten debris in it a few times, just take the caps off the check valves and clean out whatever is in inside.

PaulLovesJamie

rural 5 bay SS
Reaction score
I've gotten debris in it a few times, just take the caps off the check valves and clean out whatever is in inside.
How did you know there was debris in it that needed to be cleaned out?
Is cleaning out debris a routine maintenance item... that I've never done?

Randy

Reaction score
How did you know there was debris in it that needed to be cleaned out?
Is cleaning out debris a routine maintenance item... that I've never done?
If it's not broke don't fix it. If it's leaking or dripping you could have some debris under one of the check valves. If you remove the check valve cap be careful, it's under pressure and will spring out once the cap is removed.

Mchas

Reaction score
I had one that leaked, paid good money to have it serviced, they replaced internal parts and tested it and said it’s working properly now. Still leaks. Complained enough that the guy came back, checked it again, said definitely working properly and suggested I just put a funnel under it and run a hose to the drain as others have mentioned. Haven’t worried about it since.