What's new

Automatic Down time

californiacarwash

Reaction score
What would you say is the average down time of your Automatic Carwash and how long does it take you to get it back up in operation?

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Between 1 hour and 1 day. I've never been down more than a day. I have a simple machine and a very good distributor. Between the 2 of us, we can fix many problems immediately.

lag

Reaction score
We make all repairs ourself , so we can be up fairly fast. 3 hours would be to long. If it is not busy we can leave one of them down overnite.

washme1

Reaction score
Many times I need a part from D & S overnite, as my distributor does not stock parts. Otherwise, if my distributor is in town the down time will usually be a few hours if I can't do the repair myself. I've been an operator for two years.

Buzzie8

Reaction score
When we first opened we didn't stock many parts and it seemed like everything went wrong on a Friday when a part could not be overnighted. Now we have a part in stock for almost everything. We ask our distributor how often does this part go bad and if he gives us any indication that it could be a problem we order two or replace the one we take out of stock. We still probably lose at least two days a year per auto bay. Also, always have replacement hoses. Crazy to lose business over a busted hose. Just my thoughts.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
I would say the max "down time" would be a couple hours on a rare occasion, most of that being customer stupidity. Once a year, we replace the majority of hoses, swivels and certain wiring on the machine. Anyone saying that they have no "down time" at all, I would say your full of $hit.

mmurra

Reaction score
Think of "down time" as nap time. We all need one now and then; automatics need them more often!

MEP001

Reaction score
Fatboy769 said:
Anyone saying that they have no "down time" at all, I would say your full of $hit.
We've had some, but it's very minimal. A couple overnight when I had to wait 'til the next morning to pick up a part or a replacement hose, once a couple days for something I had to order, but so far this year I think it's been down twice, neither for very long at all.

Fatboy769

Living the American Dream
Reaction score
We've had some, but it's very minimal. A couple overnight when I had to wait 'til the next morning to pick up a part or a replacement hose, once a couple days for something I had to order, but so far this year I think it's been down twice, neither for very long at all.

I believe when you properly maintain any automatic, these are the results you will see. A couple times here or there from a part failure. A little PM can definately save alot of down time.

raisetheprice

Reaction score
We've got double bays, so very rarely are we 100% down. The flip side of that...1 side always needs something it seems. Yes, having parts on hand saves alot of frustration. We're not too far from plenty of parts. They have to carry alot of parts locally...to service all the carwashes they've put in against us.

Shorco1

Reaction score
I would say the max "down time" would be a couple hours on a rare occasion, most of that being customer stupidity. Once a year, we replace the majority of hoses, swivels and certain wiring on the machine. Anyone saying that they have no "down time" at all, I would say your full of $hit.

Fatboy, you're right on the mark about customer supidity and "down time"' On the lighter side another defintion of "down time", time between mepp's posts.
:cool:

jprb

Reaction score
Down time only comes on nice, sunny, Friday afternoons. I always have the parts I need to fix things when it's raining!

JPRB

MEP001

Reaction score
Shorco1 said:
Fatboy, you're right on the mark about customer supidity and "down time"' On the lighter side another defintion of "down time", time between mepp's posts.
So now you're going to follow me from thread to thread and harass me about my forum activity?

Shorco1

Reaction score
So now you're going to follow me from thread to thread and harass me about my forum activity?
YGTSM! I don't follow anyone especially you. You're a remarkable man, 1800+ posts. Some very good some so so. You're obviously very knowledgeable. I believe you like to read your own press and that is admirable. You've given some great information and I've learned some things from you. To make the accusation of harassment is absurd. Lighten up, enjoy the Holidays and keep the posts coming. Just let me know when your driving.

Etowah

MEP001

Reaction score
Shorco1 said:
To make the accusation of harassment is absurd.
I didn't accuse anything, I asked. The onus was on you to answer.

I found it rude that you made an unkind remark about me in the third person. I don't understand the "you like to read your own press" part unless it's to say I post just to "hear myself talk," but it's not the case. I like to learn, and I try to help when I can. If my number of posts here doesn't bother you, then kindly don't bring it up again.

MEP001

Reaction score
Fatboy769 said:
I believe when you properly maintain any automatic, these are the results you will see.
I like to think that between my attention and the simplicity of the machine (Vector), that's the case. I work quite hard to prevent any potential problems whenever possible, down to replacing hoses when they look like they might break soon.

Shorco1

Reaction score
I didn't accuse anything, I asked. The onus was on you to answer.

I found it rude that you made an unkind remark about me in the third person. I don't understand the "you like to read your own press" part unless it's to say I post just to "hear myself talk," but it's not the case. I like to learn, and I try to help when I can. If my number of posts here doesn't bother you, then kindly don't bring it up again.
You're very sensitive, you like to learn and help people, you like to drive a lot and analyze. Roger that!

Would you be so kind as to tell us about your wash, type of equipment, automatic, and some pics would be nice. Pitzer had a section on carwashes of owners. Happy Holidays!