What's new

Attempted Stringing In NC

Etowah

99Roadking

Reaction score
My wife came to me the other night after servicing the change machines and held up a $10.00 bill then she appeared to drop the bill but it was dangling in mid air. Thats because she was holding the piece of fishing line that was attached to the bill. My heart immediatley sank and I asked "how much" She replied that if anything a couple bucks. She went to the camera system and "BINGO" there is the scum, well both scum. There on cam plain as day was a man and woman. The cams provided a clear picture with face shot and great description of the burgundy Chevy Lumina of which the hubcaps were missing from both front wheels. The changer cam clearly show the male scum pulling a bill and wrap the clear line around his hand and he began attempting to string for quarters. He went to the newset Iowa changer with no succed ss, then he attempts the older Hamilton. The changer snatched the $10.00 from his hand, no money dropped and snap the fishing lne is snapped and now that $10.00 is mine. I called the local Sheriffs Office with footage on a jump drive and the ten dollar bill. Thats when I was shocked to hear what the detective told me. He said "we cannot do a thing about it because he didnt actually get money" though he tried for 45 minutes. I said you have got to be kidding me. He questioned what he would charge him with? I said how about attempted robbery among others. I forwarned the nice detective that the next time I felt sure they would get me for $400.00 in quarters (wink wink) . I also told him if I caught them on my property I was charging both them with trespassing. By the way....I have yet to get the $10.00 returned. Thinking it could have been spent at Dunkin Donuts.

pitzerwm

Reaction score
You have got to love lazy cops and a system, that if you are too stupid to succeed, you are to dumb to go to jail.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
Post the video on You tube.

Post photos around your place.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
#1The valuable lesson learned is never give the police
(money) evidence.
#2- also-never check to see if dyed money is from some robbery.
#3 never report a meth lab on property.--Wash it down-throw in trash.
#4 never ask someone washing blood out of the trunk,
if they killed someone-Found out they had.

I think the hassle with the police is usually worse than the original
problem. Post a pic of them at your wash, customers like
helping. It's been a while but have given customers $50 to $100
in tokens. A lot more fun than dealing with police.

Ghetto Wash

Reaction score
By the way....I have yet to get the $10.00 returned. Thinking it could have been spent at Dunkin Donuts.
I lost a $20 that way. They said they needed it for evidence. I learned my lesson - no more cash for evidence.

washnvac

Reaction score
Want to eliminate thieves and stringers, go pay-one-price.
The cheaper way to eliminate it for good---is switch to $1 high security tokens. I have 5 locations. Every unit, including my auto cashiers, dispense $1 tokens only.

BTW--never been strung. Problem solved!

This debate comes up all the time. Switch to tokens and be done.

Whale of a Wash

5 Washes 36Bays 2Vectors
Reaction score
The switching of $1 High security tokens is one of the best ways to go along with CC acceptance. 3.5 yrs and loving them. No quarter thieves, laundry takers. I get about 50 a week in each Shur-Vend, and same amount in vacs- vacs still get alot of quarters. Load 4 Times the $ value in your changer. When someone says they lost money- It's no big deal to give tokens. I still accept quarters though as alot of people use the wash as a way to spend their change.
We also give $1 free with a $10 bill, so it really would make your wash more money. Probably not one of us using tokens would even consider quarters again. People pop 4 to 6 tokens in like no big deal- where they used to give up after 8 or 10 quarters.
I think the pay one price means an entry gate- no money anywhere else.

HCW

Reaction score
THE SAME PERSON GOT ME!!!!!!!!
I am in Kansas and got my Hamilton changer strung. Burgandy lumina missing front hub caps, white male big belly. I have him on video!!!!!
Sounds like every one here needs to be aware of it since they are traveling from state to state!

MEP001

Reaction score
Put the video on YouTube and link it here.

HCW

Reaction score
I have the thief on 3 different cameras and each camera file is 1 hour long, I am trying to download them on YouTube but its taking for ever! I'll keep trying.

mjwalsh

6 bay SS w/laundromat
Reaction score
You seriously think this is a good idea posting it on youtube???
JMMUSTANG & others,

I could see if there was a close up & a step by step showing of the process ... it could be a concern.

In this case, getting the rascal's image out there to help with an eventual arrest seems to outweigh the possible negative. On Robbery2 when the robber was doing his "weaselly anybody looking dance" ... it gave me a bit of a flashback on one of our crime scene surveillance videos.

mike

rph9168

Carwashguy
Reaction score
From my experience in the past most stringers are somewhat transient. They know their chances of getting caught or punished are slim if they don't work too much in one area. It is also true that the police generally do not pursue them very often because they consider it more of a nuisance crime like pick pocketing or shop lifting. You almost have to hand over the culprit to get some action from them. It is a good thing that most of the new changers prevent or hamper stringing and many operators have gone to tokens and credit cards. This has probably done more to reduce stringing than the police.

HCW

Reaction score
JM, I posted the clips for everyone's benefit here so you recognize the thief and the car. I doubt that'll teach someone how to.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
When I had vieo of a thief I posted some screen shots around the Wash with "Wanted info" I figured that even if no one ever identified him (No One did) it might have some deterrent effect.