What's new

Are there any positive people here?

Etowah

Jujubeadz

Reaction score
I have read every post on starting or buying a SS. And not the first positive response.

Does everyone on this forum just hate what they do or bought into?

I’ve have started and ran several businesses. Yes I’m looking at purchasing a 4 bay SS less than a mile from me.

Yes I know it’s work and will break down. Have monster trucks fresh from the mud hole decide to wash down. Have crack heads camping in the bay.

I’m very mechanically inclined and realistic in my expectations.

is it really that bad?

OurTown

Reaction score
Yes it CAN be that bad depending on where it is located but it can also be well worth it. There are some positive people on here. You just have to look.

Jujubeadz

Reaction score
True. An express type is about 4 miles away. This particular SS is downtown good traffic, no buildable areas around. The express so far after 2 years has not effected revenue at all...odd?

Old Futura equipment on the walls. most equipment is 2007. But well maintained.

Just waiting for my CPA to finish the business evaluation.

trs246810

Reaction score
I've met plenty of positive people with extreme patience through the years on here. Seriously

ponceponce

Reaction score
I have read every post on starting or buying a SS. And not the first positive response.

Does everyone on this forum just hate what they do or bought into?

I’ve have started and ran several businesses. Yes I’m looking at purchasing a 4 bay SS less than a mile from me.

Yes I know it’s work and will break down. Have monster trucks fresh from the mud hole decide to wash down. Have crack heads camping in the bay.

I’m very mechanically inclined and realistic in my expectations.

is it really that bad?
It’s a people business and you are basically selling them time. I like talking to people and I have learned that they trust me to sell them my time. It’s a win win. Bottom line will naturally increase over time.

soonermajic

Reaction score
I am positive it is a horrible business & experience. Ha...jk
The longer you're in it, like most things, the most cynical you become.

Greg_T

Reaction score
1 Licola Road, Heyfield, Victoria, Australia
I think we accentuate the negative because it seems so many think it will be an easy gig, consisting mainly of picking up cash once a week. As a potential buyer, you're better to be aware of all the nasty bits. If you're not scared away by that, then you might just go OK in the industry.

As an analogue, I also emphasise all the worst parts of a job when interviewing a candidate. Better that they know all the negatives up front.

Eric H

Reaction score
Am i negative? Absolutely! But that is who I am as a person. I love this business and the people I've befriended here.
Regarding posts discouraging people from buying a wash, I have no interest in encouraging someone to invest their savings into a business that they don't understand. When someone asks "should I buy this wash for $400K, it grosses almost $50K a year!", I know they will struggle for months before they give up. Its not to say that from time to time a guy gets lucky and things work out, I'm sure it happens. Successful business people are buying washes that are profitable before they hit the open market. I don't want to crush someone's dream of owning a business but many of these washes are just an opportunity to work too hard just to break even.

DavidM

Reaction score
This forum is also similar to review sites. People are louder when they have a bad experience. On the rare occasion that a wash works perfectly all weekend, every inbay does 100+ cars per day and the income rolls in we don't talk about it. But when the automatic breaks down on a Friday afternoon, we tend to be vocal.

I also think the other posters are correct...
-We want to add reality to the guys believing a car wash is a big vending machine (collect the cash weekly and enjoy the 90% profit margin)
-We don't want to invite competition
-Finally, there are some members here who seem to hate the industry and I'm not sure why they still own washes

I think we have all seen more money lost than made in the self service industry

David

traveler17

Reaction score
I have personally never seen people being negative. I’ve read honesty and investment advice of “it sounds like a terrible plan” or ”run”. I constantly read about new ideas, some for me and some not. I don’t consider the complaining and moaning to be negative. In fact I love hearing other operators complaints about some of the dirtbags that we deal w on the daily. Before joining and reading all these threads I thought my wash was the only one that dealt w household trash and a dead dogs in my vac island Etc etc etc.... What’s crazy is I want another :) Don’t confuse facts and real w negativity. This community is priceless and I appreciate everyone’s input, unless its negative 😬😀

MEP001

Reaction score
Dude will make anybody want to be in the SS Industry.
Yeah, I think he is why there's a sudden increase in noobs asking about washes they want to buy. I'd like to see Investment Joy run some real numbers including costs. He makes it look like it's as simple as going out and picking up a car wash or laundromat or rental property like it's a rock on a sidewalk, then just counting the profits.

Some day, someone is going to rob him with his bucket full of money.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I think what seasoned operators object to are new potential investors who haven't done their homework. They come on the forum and many try to take a shortcut to determining whether or not a business will work for them. If I seem negative, it's because I started from ground zero, working at a car wash to gain valuable experience. Even though I had a full-time job running my own business as a standalone detail shop, I made the time to work at two different car washes so I could learn.

I have seldom heard new potential investors who are willing to do the dirty work of digging in to the numbers, learning the business, understanding the equipment the customers and the seasonality in some parts of the country. Sometimes you have to sit in front of a car wash and count cars.Sometimes you have to work for a place that is already doing the business you want to do. There are no shortcuts.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
As a 20 year “sales professional”, I spent many hours talking to potential investors who wanted to “start a car wash” …sorta like what happens here.

Invariably, the inquirers had insufficient resources and pie-in-the-sky expectations. Back then, $60K (1980’s – 90’s money) per SS bay for construction and equipment, plus land, water, and sewer taps, electrical, etc. was frequently shocking to the caller.

I talked more people (98% ?) out of pursuing the business than I ever closed. Poor locations, too many existing bays in the market area, insufficient rooftops, etc. A few did not like what they heard and went forward with other distributors only to lose their business to the bank. At least I was able to sleep at night.

One instance: A major player’s location was two blocks from a landowner’s site. I told him it was a bad idea.

“Why?” He asked.

“He has no mortgage and 17 other locations to draw from.” I explained. “As soon as you break ground, he’ll likely lower his price to 25₵/4 minutes.”

He did. The 3rd owner could not make a go of it, either. That car wash is now an auto parts store.

Regardless, I guided many great folks into the industry and to this day regard most as good friends.

So, I suppose I can be counted as one of those Mr. Negatives.

Jujubeadz

Reaction score
Thanks again for the feedback. I have watched and wanted this SS for 21 years, and now it’s available. I’ve sat countless Saturdays and weekdays watching and counting.

I’ve talked to customers and got their opinion.

I’ve gave free car washes to everyone I know, to get their experience.

Asking $325,000
Gross income $72k avg last 3 years
Expenses around $10k

Etowah