What's new

Architects

Overachiever

Reaction score
Anyone have experience in using architects?

I hired an architect to draw out the plans for raising my roof a couple feet over one of my bays and making the bay longer to make room for an IBA.

I've sat on the drawings for a couple years and the codes have changed for roofing. Now he's telling me he needs $1800 to pay an engineer to update the code and $2300 to update the drawings. Do my drawings need to match the current code and exactly what the building changes need to be to get the permits with the city? I tried calling another architect and he made it seem like he can't update them for me because apparently architects own the copyright on their drawings even though I paid for them. Seems like my architect is trying to get rich off me for some pretty minor changes.

Originally when I had the plans drawn up I just told him to knock down the bay next to the one I'm adding the new IBA in but the city wanted to capitalize on all the new space that became available and turn it into landscaping so I told him I wanted the bay to not be demolished and for the roof to be raised on that bay also to match the bay next to it. I could probably have my undemolished bay back in the drawings in an hour or two of copy and pasting things in photoshop. Do I have any options in getting this done cheaper?

robert roman

Bob Roman
Reaction score
I would say, no.

For example, an appraisal or opinion of value has effective marketing period of 12 months.

After 12 months, the analyst must inspect the property and review current market data to determine whether the property has declined in value since the date of the original valuation.

Similarly, an investor-ready project has intrinsic value only as long as the bid quotes and permits are valid (i.e. 12 months). After expiration, value drops significantly because developer must re-apply.

The other architect turned it down because the work is probably too much hassle for the money involved.

Most architects around here won’t talk to you more than five minutes without paying $4,500 retainer.

Earl Weiss

Reaction score
...... I tried calling another architect and he made it seem like he can't update them for me because apparently architects own the copyright on their drawings even though I paid for them.
Usually they price it for a one time project. Pricing would be different if they know it may be used multiple times, UNLESS you stipulate ownership for whatever in the initial contract. Their is also liability exposure that increases for multiple uses, and laibility assuption for the other guys work if someone makes changes.