What's new

Applying tri-foam over presoak

Eric H

Reaction score
I know some operators are applying triple foam over their presoak before their high pressure pass. Is this a good idea or just a method to reduce wash time?
Waxman and I were discussing this topic and I was concerned that the foam (i apply A LOT of foam) would cause a pillow effect that would reduce the impact (impingement) of the high pressure pass and reduce cleaning.
A couple of days after my lunch with Waxman I was texting with an operator (I don’t think he is on the forum) about his applications. He applies a LoPh pass through his Razor’s Hyperflex followed by a LoPh triple foam and then a HiPh pass though the arch before his High Pressure pass. Does the presoak actually make it to the surface of the car or just sit on top of the foam in this example?
I’m trying to rework my wash packages in preparation for a price increase. I’m interested in hearing thoughts about applying triple foam early in the wash process.

Roz

Reaction score
We had all chemicals applied in the layered format you describe (inherited from a wash I purchased). After changing to the more traditional Lo/Hi/Rinse then the extras like Tri foam the cars came out cleaner and the customers noticed the nice try foam colors (ie it was a better show). The regulars appreciated the updated wash packages (their words).

DiamondWash

Reaction score
I changed my top wash pkg to:

LowPh (arch)
Soak
HighPh (arch)
TriFoam with a LowPh Conditioner reverse
Soak
HP Rinse (arch)
Tru Pearl Shield Flex Pass forward
Foam n Flow Magma Shine reverse
HP Tru Pearl Dry (arch)
Spot Free Rinse Flex Pass forward

slash007

Reaction score

LowPh (arch)
Soak
HighPh (arch)
Soak
HP Rinse (arch)
HP Tru Pearl Dry (arch)
notice any difference in cleaning? I'm still considering switching to a LOW PH TF, but want to finish some stock first.

washnshine

Reaction score

LowPh (arch)
Soak
HighPh (arch)
Soak
HP Rinse (arch)
HP Tru Pearl Dry (arch)
What brand is True Pearl, Diamond?

DiamondWash

Reaction score
notice any difference in cleaning? I'm still considering switching to a LOW PH TF, but want to finish some stock first.
Cleaning stays the same it just eliminated a rinse pass a "little" better on throughput.

What brand is True Pearl, Diamond?
I'm using Ver Tech Labs Tru Pearl Line for both my Automatics.

water guy

Reaction score
We apply a hi and lo presoak also in our razor.do you think that lo ph presoak makes that much difference.

washnshine

Reaction score
We apply a hi and lo presoak also in our razor.do you think that lo ph presoak makes that much difference.
The only way to really say is to try it without and see. Maybe do two high pH passes and see if you get the same, better or worse results. Soils, and weather conditions of geographic areas are so different you won’t know without some experimentation.

carwashireland

Reaction score
We set our Oasis xp to put tri foam on after the second pass which is high pH. It works great and gives good show during dwell time. It is targeted at the upper parts of the vehicle only though so it does not affect the pre soak on the dirtiest parts. On our Razor it was no good as the presoak foams too well so you do not see the tri foam so well from within the vehicle.

carwashireland

Reaction score
We set our Oasis xp to put tri foam on after the second pass which is high pH. It works great and gives good show during dwell time. It is targeted at the upper parts of the vehicle only though so it does not affect the pre soak on the dirtiest parts. On our Razor it was no good as the presoak foams too well so you do not see the tri foam so well from within the vehicle.
We now also do this on our Razors, we turned down the air on the presoak so now it looks great.