What's new

Anyone put in IP cameras in wash?

bigleo48

Reaction score
Adam,

I have 30 cameras in my DVR. To me, the whole point of the DVR is to have a video "server' to capture & record video as a system and a single point of remote access.

If I had 30 IP cameras, I would need to assign IP address to all along with different UDP port numbers to be able to view remotely. I would then need to open a browser for every camera. Then I would still need a server and a fast ethernet switch to record. I'm sure there is software to solve the multi-browser issue, but I don't see how this would be any easier or less expensive.

Also, cameras typically need two cables, one for the video signal (coax for baseband video and CAT-5 for IP) and power (some have another cable for sound). Even if you go WiFi, you still need power...so the whole cordless thing is mute.

AdamA

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

I wasn't think so much of wireless, since like you say you need power. Some do power over Ethernet, but you still need a cable.

I was thinking more of these possible advantages:

1) DVR (or PC) offsite, so it can't be stolen as part of the process,
2) Future protection, since all services seem to be moving to IP.
3) Sharing DVR/PC between sites (ie just having cameras at each site, adding a camera at my house etc.

Thoughts?

MEP001

Reaction score
It might be feasible if you had only a couple of cameras at each site, but with 16 or more you'd be better off with a DVR. There are systems that will upload video data to a remote location when an alarm is activated, so it will continue to "record" until the unit is disconnected. You can even go a simple route and have the video data recorded to a USB hard drive that's hidden or locked securely in a safe, so even if a crook takes the DVR the data is left behind. You wouldn't even have the ability to search by motion event with an IP camera. I can see them being useful only if you want to watch live activities remotely.