What's new

Airlft XRS Rail Ice - Solutions?

MDrost1

Reaction score
Folks,

I installed 360plus this year. We had to move the door from an interior installation to an exterior installation to make room for the 360.

I am having exit door ice build up in the rails. I never had this before. I am wondering if anyone has a solution to fix this issue.

Thanks!

Rudy

Reaction score
I have a similar Wyndstar door.

We taped heat tapes to the back side of the fiberglass side rails. When the temperature drops below about 25F, we plug in the tapes. Haven't had an icy rail since. FWIW, this setup also keeps the embeded photo eyes deiced also.

BBE

Reaction score
Do you have the bristle on the side of the rails? If so that's your problem. The rubber strip is the way to go.

MDrost1

Reaction score
I have the rubber strips.

Actually, Airlift got back to me and suggested spraying some silicone inside the rails. I gave that a shot yesterday. Seems to work well!

WikiWash

Reaction score
Do you have the bristle on the side of the rails? If so that's your problem. The rubber strip is the way to go.
Hey BBE!

I have the bristles on my XRS rollup doors and I am not familiar with the new rubber strip style. What makes them better? I'm just curious if I should upgrade or not.

GoBuckeyes

Self-Serve and Automatics
Reaction score
I have a similar Wyndstar door.

We taped heat tapes to the back side of the fiberglass side rails. When the temperature drops below about 25F, we plug in the tapes. Haven't had an icy rail since. FWIW, this setup also keeps the embeded photo eyes deiced also.
Rudy, what kind of heat tape did you use and how did you attach it? How long has it lasted?

Thanks

soapy

Reaction score
Try winter guard wet Heat tape. Used to made by Ratheon. I have used it in my troughs for over 20 years and no failures.

Rudy

Reaction score
I'm not sure what kind of heat tape I actually used. It was the type used to deice gutters, and most likely was purchased from a big box store.

I simply ran several vertical loops, and taped it to the fiberglass guides using metalized tape (you aviators call it "speed tape").

BBE

Reaction score
Hey BBE!

I have the bristles on my XRS rollup doors and I am not familiar with the new rubber strip style. What makes them better? I'm just curious if I should upgrade or not.
Hey buddy, I had problems with the bristles freezing together and getting ice balls on them and then the door getting hung up on them and stuck halfway open or closed. It was a nightmare for a whole winter. I complained enough that airlift actually gave me the rubber insert strips for free. Pain in the butt to change out. But zero problems since.

WikiWash

Reaction score
Hey buddy, I had problems with the bristles freezing together and getting ice balls on them and then the door getting hung up on them and stuck halfway open or closed. It was a nightmare for a whole winter. I complained enough that airlift actually gave me the rubber insert strips for free. Pain in the butt to change out. But zero problems since.
That's great to hear! I'll look into them for sure. I have been having the same problems with them icing up really bad and getting stuck open. Thanks bud!

Etowah