What's new

Air compressor

zipnspray

Reaction score
What size air compressor do you guys use? Mine keeps shutting down. Fuses are good and I replaced the capacitors. Still not working. I have a Kobalt 80 gal now but think I might replace with a 60 gal for less $.

MEP001

Reaction score
I have the older version of this one (Almost exactly the same except red):
It's been bulletproof except for the usual cheap Chinese-made motor which has been replaced at least once in 20 years. I had this as a backup at another wash:
It's pretty high volume for a single stage, it's really quiet, and it's the cheapest compressor I've found that's rated continuous duty. It was installed as a backup but it ended up being the primary compressor for about three years.

I want to remove the one large compressor and go with two of these:
Since I have four different low pressure systems that require air to run, it's a huge problem if the compressor fails. It's really nice to know that you have a backup. It also seems to make things last longer when the compressor runs longer with two tanks to fill rather than turning on and off a lot when it's busy.

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I have the husky single phase ( $800 at Lowes) in my detail shop. It's super loud and I have repaired it several times; bad reed valves, broken motor mount, pressure valve, tubing / fittings.

Spend $2500 and get a nice one you can rely on.

I have this in my wash and love it. One repair in 14 years; brazed copper line from pump to tank..

Rudy

Reaction score
A 60 gallon (or 80...for that matter) tank...is just that...a tank.

Basically, an "air compressor" is a tank, motor and pump.

I went on eBay, and got a decent 5hp motor for less than $200.

I found a lightly used Champion R15 pump for $650. This pump is bulletproof.

Bolted it onto my old 80 gallon tank....it's been flawless for a long time.

BTW....the hardest part is finding a good pump for a decent price. Good stuff is expensive (but usually pays off in the long run).

Randy

Reaction score
What size air compressor do you guys use? Mine keeps shutting down. Fuses are good and I replaced the capacitors. Still not working. I have a Kobalt 80 gal now but think I might replace with a 60 gal for less $.
The box store air compressors use some pretty substandard parts when they are built, primarily the motors. There are not a lot of parts on an air compressor to go bad, motor, pressure switch, tank check valve and pump. When they don’t run it’s normally something minor, like the pressure switch or a tank check valve. I have a 20 gallon Sanborn air compressor at my car wash that has been in service since 1994, it was one of those emergency purchases on a Friday night before going on vacation for a week. I figured I’d just run it until it doesn’t run any more, it’s 26 years and only thing I’ve had to replace was the $15.00 pressure switch.

soapy

Reaction score
I use Quincy or Ingersol Rand. For a car wash a single stage compressor is plenty since we rarely use over 100 psi. Never had a problem with any of my Quincy compressors and they have 25 years on them so far.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
It's either Quincy or don't call me when your value-priced compressor quits working.;)
I've had it with the Big Box units...broken motor shafts, failed starting switches, melted caps, lousy pressure switches.
The danged things run too fast and can't handle the duty cycle of a busy operation. And, they always seem to crap out on the weekend!

With all the low pressure and blow-out systems installed in today's car washes, a quality compressor is 1st money spent well.

Randy, I have 2 Sanborns that are at least 35 years old. But, they live in my garage and workshop.
I also had a big Sanborn in my busy 8-bay for about 15 years. When Coleman Powermate acquired Sanborn...well, bad experiences.

MEP001

Reaction score
I also had a big Sanborn in my busy 8-bay for about 15 years. When Coleman Powermate acquired Sanborn...well, bad experiences.
There are few brands left that are still of the quality they were 20 years ago. You used'ta could get a Speedaire from Grainger and not touch it for 20-30 years, now you'd be lucky if it'll last through its warranty. Devilbiss used to make good units, but they got absorbed by Porter Cable, which are now cheap junk barely good enough for home use.

Rudy

Reaction score
The best setups use a motor turning at 1750 rpm running a pump in the 7-800 rpm range. The cheapos have the 3500 rpm motors turning the pump at warp 8 (1100rpm+).

My (long departed) big box store air compressor sounded (almost) like a sewing machine. It whirred. Not so my present setup. More like a thumping sound.

Less speed is better.

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Less speed is better.
Indeed!
An old friend has a 40something year old compressor in his auto repair shop.
I suspect it runs at 400-500 rpm...he installed a huge flywheel on the pump and a tiny motor pulley shortly after he opened...in 1974!

I visited 3 weeks ago and it's still "thumping" away!

Randy

Reaction score
My Sanborn runs at around 600 rpm, cantbreak80 is right Sanborn made a good compressor 20 plus years ago. Over the years I've acquired a number of dead air compressors after I repaired them I changed the pulleys so they run slower, way slower. The manufactures build there air compressors running fast to build more air so they can get a higher price for them and use some realy cheap part to build them. One of the best air compressors you can buy is a Saylor Beall I had one given to me, did run, bad, it had a bad tank check valve. It's rock solid air compressor, I use it in my shop.

soonermajic

Reaction score
Curtis makes a good compressor, @ a decent price. Cheap air compressors will NOT last!

Allen

Reaction score
I bought a Saylor-Beall a couple of years ago for a busy 8 bay. It was about $2600. Very heavy duty compressor that is by far the best that
I've ever owned. Also use the Kobalt's and Husky's. I've had the box store brands last from 6 months up to 7+ years. I always keep a spare backup compressor for breakdowns.

KTH

Reaction score
I would recommend a KTH screw compressor with a VFD Drive. The benefit is you will get air much quicker. A lot less noise and the money you will save on electric over time it will pay for it's self. They are built right here in Maryland and a lot of car washes in MD,NJ,PA are switching over to them.
They are priced right.
The problem with piston compressors is they have a hard start relay that puts a spike on your electric and the only person that benefits is the electric company.

MEP001

Reaction score
This site is for car wash owners and operators, not for spamming reviews of home compressors.