What's new

Advances in internet tracking advertising

cantbreak80

Maybe I need new clubs
Reaction score
Ya know how when you visit a website, that company’s advertisements show up on other websites that you visit? For example: If I look at Kleen-rite’s website, I get Kleen-rite advertising on most of the news sites that I visit. If I look at golf clubs on Taylormade’s website, I get Taylormade advertising.

In yesterday’s stop and go “Rush Hour” traffic, I glanced at a building under construction. An illuminated sign that was being installed caught my attention but I couldn’t quite read what it said. I glanced several more times as the traffic crept forward, and finally was able to see the entire sign: “OrangeTheory”. My new iPhone sounded a tone at that same moment.

“Odd name.” I thought. “I wonder what it means…and, what kind of business is that?”

Well, here’s the kicker: During this morning’s routine browsing, I bring up one of my local news website. Right away, an advert hits me in the eyes…”OrangeTheory”!!! It’s a fitness center!

So, how do they do this?? I’m thinking it’s a combination of technologies. There must be a transceiver/sensor on that new building’s sign that integrates with the new loop sensor that the DOT installed in the roadway. When I drove over the loop sensor my new Oakley Radarlock sunglasses equipped with their new Prizm Road lens activated and captured my eye movements which then transferred that info to my new iPhone6 via Bluetooth through my new Pioneer car stereo with it’s new GPS antenna on the roof of my new Ford Escape and finally to my new EMV chipped Mastercard in my pocket. Then, when I got home, my new Intel Core I5 Lenovo PC with a new Windows 10 installation and Mozilla’s new Firefox browser got synced. Voila! OrangeTheory Fitness Center’s ads pop up on my computer monitor.

I’m pretty sure that I’ve locked myself into this situation because I clicked on all those boxes that stated,
“I have read and accept all the terms of this User Agreement.” (I really didn’t read the User Agreements.)

My brother says “Just because you’re paranoid doesn’t mean your real enemies aren’t out to get you.”

“Huh?”

JacksonV

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible that Google Now is responsible. If you have the Google app (https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/google/id284815942?mt=8) on your phone, it is very smart.

If Orange Theory has enabled that local feature in their advertising, and since you were "dwelling" in the vicinity of their address, it gave a notification. This (for now) is based on GPS and that particular person's digital/social profile.

It may also have relevance to your life in some way, based on your digital footprint (what you've surfed/searched before, where you drive on a daily basis, etc.).

2Biz

Thread Killer!
Reaction score
Hate to break it to ya… Its not the shades!

So here’s the real question? How do I get Ultra Clean High Pressure Car Wash to come up on every Iphone/Galaxy Users browser after they come within 10 miles of my carwash? Constantly imprinting Our Carwash Name in their brain every time they look up something on the net? The guy who programs and develops this wizardry is definitely smarter than I am!

I’ve witnessed the same thing while surfing the net. But have never been targeted like that while driving. I have been in the mall before and a notification popped up on my screen of a sale going on in a store close by. Like Jackson says, it all has to do with GPS being turned on in your smart phone.

A side benefit for the gov't....What a smart way for the them to know exactly where you are at any given time. And to think it costs "You" for them to have access to all that!

BTW…Definitely got a chuckle out of your post! 