What's new

Adding Automatic to 6 Bay self serve

CarWashGuy316

Reaction score
Im very new to the car wash business I only have about 2 years under my belt. I currently own 2 locations and Im wanting to stay competitive with the area and add an automatic bay to them. What I've been looking at is the touch free Razor and the Laser wash. Looking for any tips, help, ideas for making the best choices. What to add/ what not to add.

Anyone added to an existing self serve before? notice an uptick in new customers? decrease in self serve?

MEP001

Reaction score
Do you have plenty of space to spare in your equipment room? The machines you named require a lot of space inside for pump stand, chemicals, tanks, and controller.

MEP001

Reaction score
You might consider a good friction unit that has everything on board. The newer material that has replaced the filament brushes is much safer, the controls are better, you'll use a lot less chemical and a small fraction of the water, and some units don't have anything in the room.

A number of people on this forum who have both touchless and friction at the same location say their customers prefer the friction units.

Greg Pack

Wash Weenie
Reaction score
You're new to the IBA, so good local support is important. As far as the two brands mentioned: I don't have experience with either one, but you NEVER see a complaint about wash world user suport. I do see a lot of grumbling about PDQ.

I agree with friction being a solid choice, it's much easier to beat the dirt off a car. Your water can be hard and your chemicals weak and you will still likely deliver a pretty clean car. Not true with a touch free. But if youre surrounded by friction units at C stores and an express tunnel is in the market you may be better going for the touch free niche.

Reaction score
Im very new to the car wash business I only have about 2 years under my belt. I currently own 2 locations and Im wanting to stay competitive with the area and add an automatic bay to them. What I've been looking at is the touch free Razor and the Laser wash. Looking for any tips, help, ideas for making the best choices. What to add/ what not to add.

Anyone added to an existing self serve before? notice an uptick in new customers? decrease in self serve?
A Razor would be my pick over a Laserwash. The Razors I've been through all do great, I can't say the same for every PDQ I've been through. I would recommend thinking about a Washworld Profile as well if some of your customers prefer one over the other.

MEP001

Reaction score
@CarWashGuy316, for clarity's sake, Metro DSM Car Washes is a kid who rides through car washes with his mom.

Reaction score
@CarWashGuy316, for clarity's sake, Metro DSM Car Washes is a kid who rides through car washes with his mom.
I am sorry, I am just trying to state my opinion. I've seen these systems do well so thats why I said that. Also, just because I'm not a wash owner doesn't mean I don't know a bit about them.

MEP001

Reaction score

DavidM

Reaction score
To get back to the original question, an inbay will add revenue to your wash. The rule of thumb used to be that 1 inbay will do the same as 5 SS bays. Our inbays outperform our self serve bays at all of our locations.

I have or had Belanger, PDQ, Ryko, Mark VII and Washworld automatics. I would choose the Razor over the new Laserwash. Quality of components and tech support are the key factors.

Good touchless washing requires watching the details closely. Chemistry, water quality, nozzle wear, machine settings. Friction is a little more foolproof but has slightly more risk. We have very few damage claims with friction but zero with touchfree. We charge $1 more for our friction wash and it does slightly fewer cars than the touchless wash.

Metro DSM, I love your enthusiasm for the industry. Your signature lets everyone know you don't have car washes and I think your input is valuable. Those of us who have been in car washing a long time need the perspective of a consumer, we can get lost in the backroom sometimes.

David

CarWashGuy316

Reaction score
This is exactly the type of reply I was looking for and anyone else with thoughts on this feel free to chime in. Thank you

STXCW

Reaction score
We have converted ss bays at 9 locations over the last 3 years. If you have any questions you can message me.

soapy

Reaction score
I have added IBAs at several locations. Your bays should be a minimum of 30 feet. When you add a IBA check your water line service size 1 1/2 inch would be minimum but 2 inch is better. Are you sewer lines big enough to handle a touchless water. 4 inch is OK 6 inch is better. How much spare electrical capacity do you have. FIgure a minimum of 125 amps needed with dryers. Also what is your voltage 208, 240 3 phase? I have seen some single phase locations and that would make it much harder to do. Friction machines have a higher insurance premium compared to touchless and you will see more damage claims with friction. Friction will clean better at a cheaper per cost cost.

CarWashGuy316

Reaction score
I have added IBAs at several locations. Your bays should be a minimum of 30 feet. When you add a IBA check your water line service size 1 1/2 inch would be minimum but 2 inch is better. Are you sewer lines big enough to handle a touchless water. 4 inch is OK 6 inch is better. How much spare electrical capacity do you have. FIgure a minimum of 125 amps needed with dryers. Also what is your voltage 208, 240 3 phase? I have seen some single phase locations and that would make it much harder to do. Friction machines have a higher insurance premium compared to touchless and you will see more damage claims with friction. Friction will clean better at a cheaper per cost cost.
Thank you for your help

Waxman

Super Moderator
Reaction score
After 15 years in business with a touchfree automatic wash, I am upgrading to a Washworld Razor. I love the build quality and reliability of this machine. I like the touchscreen and how it shows the status of the different components. The programmability is great, too. My old machine was limited to what I could offer, but not the razor; if I want a wash with 4 presoak passes and 3 HP rinse passes, I can do that.